UltravioletPhotography

Eye safety standard summary

This is a very good and relatively understandable summary of the IEC 62471 Eye safety standard:

https://smartvisionlights.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/IEC_62471_summary.pdf

It explains several important aspects for eye safety and what type damages the standard intends to protect us from.

Interesting parts also include

Risk levels

Exposure times

Types of labeling needed for products in different risk levels.

What only 4 clear easy to read pages with tables.

Definitely not a government guidance document or "summary", which would have taken a month to write and 10 years to get approval, with then public comment and rewriting. And a minimum of 30 pages.

But I am not saying anything.

I am not sure I understand the GROUP 1/2/3 A/B/C specifics.

For example, in table #4, "Labeling Requirements",

which label would be used for a Convoy S2+ UV 365nm Nichia LED torch (say)?

Obviously, the UVA row (given the 365nm wavelength of the LED), but which group does that torch/LED fall into? How do we pick the correct group?

I am not sure I understand the GROUP A/B/C specifics. For example, in table #4, "Labeling Requirements", which label would be used for a Convoy S2+ UV 365nm Nichia LED torch (say)? Obviously, the UVA row (given the 365nm wavelength of the LED), but which group does that torch/LED fall into? How do we pick the correct group?

I guess by "GROUP A/B/C" you mean Groups 1, 2 and 3.

To find out what risk group a Convoy S2+ UV 365nm Nichia LED torch belongs you have to identify the hazard level it creates according to the real IEC 62471 standard.

You have to get the standard

https://webstore.ans...N0aAiVEEALw_wcB

find and interpret the right parts in several places.

Then you have to correctly measure or calculate the worst case intensity emerging from the the torch and compare to the threshold levels for each hazard group.

If I remember correctly the full standard is rather thick, some 90 pages, but then it contains much information not applicable to UV-torches.

The information about labeling is in yet another document that the standard above refers to.

I have done this before for designing some IR-illumination sources.

It took me quite some time to get a good grip about how to handle the information correctly.

Guess I will just use my standard really scary label then. :smile:

Yes keep your current label. I think that just might make it US compliant. But I am not saying it is. Just my personal view point, which is not affiliated or endorsed by anyone ageny I may represent.