UltravioletPhotography

IR with Sigma fp on a whim

Now I wonder why Sigma fp doesn't suffer from the IR contamination like the earlier DSLRs like D2H or D40. Sigma fp seems to show higher sensitivity to IR than these DSLRs that I actually used even with IR90.

CORRECTION:

In the post #23, I reported the Z007 Image was shot at ISO400, but the double-checking the DNG file revealed that it was actually shot at ISO 800. I corrected the data accordingly.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tried my Ai Nikkor 200mm/f4.0 on Sigma fp with Fuji IR90 TAC filter. So far, the lens doesn't show any hint of the hot spot. It was bright with just thin clouds while I was shooting.

All images were shot at ISO800 and f8.0. The images #2 and #3 with the exposure compensation of +1 stop.

#1: 8 sec. The image is a bit blurry due to the breeze.

#2: 8 sec.

#3: 2 sec.

post-8-0-04447700-1585378298.jpg

post-8-0-12223100-1585378308.jpg

post-8-0-54457600-1585378323.jpg

Great images coming out of the stock Sigma Fp.

So its ISO 800, f8, and 8 seconds and be there.

Just a spin on the old sunny rule.

Hm. The "8-8-8 rule" indicates a tripod is mandatory with the Sigma for IR? I could shoot IR hand-held with the D40 (not D40X, though sweet camera it was).

I wonder what exposures would be required say at nightfall.

On a tangential note, your last image of housings is so very Japanese ... it's like being thrown back memory-wise to the Land of the Rising Sun. Thank you for this trip down memory lane!!

Hm. The "8-8-8 rule" indicates a tripod is mandatory with the Sigma for IR? I could shoot IR hand-held with the D40 (not D40X, though sweet camera it was).

On a tangential note, your last image of housings is so very Japanese ... it's like being thrown back memory-wise to the Land of the Rising Sun. Thank you for this trip down memory lane!!

But Birna, 8-8-8 is very lucky. Everything should just work.

Too bad the Fp doesn't have built in image stabilization.

For a modern camera I think the leaky ness of the Fpin uv and IR is great. If the future Sigma L-mount Forveon can't remove the blocking filter, I hope its super leaky.

Birna, I don't mean to sound like preaching Buddha, but the last three images were shot with the very dense IR90 filter. The one posted above, shot with Cokin Z007 (Wratten 89B equiv.) at ISO800, f5.6 1/8sec. If the lens and the camera were set at f4.0 and ISO 1600, handholding would not be that impossible.

Nevertheless, I prefer the images through IR90 that feel tranquil. The IR capability of Sigma fp on that level is nice enough to call "an unexpected added bonus" to me. The only color IR image I'm interested at least for now is the ones with Kolari IR Chrome filter. But that would be impossible with the unmodified camera. :(

Glad you enjoy one of the last images.

I need to get hold of a second hand Sigma fp & do some surgery on it.

I cannot afford a dedicated IR camera, but am interested how it would perform after the UV/IR cut filter is removed. So far as I know, this is the only camera with a BSI 24MP sensor without the phase detect photosites.

Akira, thank you for posting this excellent series of IR photographs! It is so nice to see you here on UVP.

It is instructive to see the results using IR filters which I do not have.

I am also quite fascinated with those sculpted look of the shrubs and bushes in some of the photos.

I cannot afford a dedicated IR camera, but am interested how it would perform after the UV/IR cut filter is removed. So far as I know, this is the only camera with a BSI 24MP sensor without the phase detect photosites.

The Panasonic S1 uses the same sensor and is also contrast detect AF. So the only 135 format BSI sensors that don't have phase detect pixels are both L-mount cameras.

Akira, thank you for posting this excellent series of IR photographs! It is so nice to see you here on UVP.

It is instructive to see the results using IR filters which I do not have.

I am also quite fascinated with those sculpted look of the shrubs and bushes in some of the photos.

Thank you, Andrea, for the encouraging words! Fuji filters are Japanese counterparts of Kodak Wratten gels, but they are made of tri acetyl cellulose which is more durable against the moisture. They offer IR-pass filters of various density in small steps and both in 3x3" and 4x4" square size. Very handy.

The Panasonic S1 uses the same sensor and is also contrast detect AF. So the only 135 format BSI sensors that don't have phase detect pixels are both L-mount cameras.

I do suspect that S1 and S1H may use the same sensors, but Panasonic website doesn't clearly mention that they are of BSI type.

• 1 month later...

Very nice Akira, & sharp.

What adapter is used for the Nikon lens please ?

If you see a used, Sigma fp for sale I will be interested in buying one please ?

Thank you, Colin. The adapter I use is Novoflex LET/NIK adapter. I try to avoid cheap adapters because of the burr around the mount owing to rough finish. I only use either the German Novoflex or the Japanese Rayqual. I have a sad experience with Metabones. Also, the anti-reflection paint and groove inside Novoflex seems to be very efficient, which is another reason for my preference to Novoflex.

The single-coated Nikkor-H 50/2.0 appears to be quite resistant to flare, ghost and hotspot, but the efficient anti-reflection finish of Novoflex may help.

I did find used fp in very good condition here in Japan (priced around 160,000 JPY) but not plenty of it. (The brand new body is sold for around 185,000 JPY, and the body + lens [45/2.8] kit, for around 220,000 JPY)

According to the recent interview to Mr. Yamaki, CEO of Sigma, the fp hasn't sold as well as he had hoped, and COVIT-19 has made the situation even worse. That should be another reason for the scarcity of the used bodies.

Thanks Akira

160,000 JPY is just below the lowest retail price in Australia.

I don't really want to convert a new camera. I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

I do like the results you are getting....

Thanks Akira

160,000 JPY is just below the lowest retail price in Australia.

I don't really want to convert a new camera. I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

I do like the results you are getting....

I won't convert a new camera either. The IR capability of fp is really a pleasant surprise and an added bonus. Landscapes are my main interest in IR, so the necessity to use a tripod is not much of a deal breaker to me.