UltravioletPhotography

They don't call it Infrared for nothing

Lee 729 + KG3 2mm filter stack.

D7000 UV/IR, 18-55mm VR. White balanced in camera on full frame WhiBal card.

Post Processing: Auto Levels in Photoshop, resized (only).

post-87-0-68117300-1578890745.jpg

Were is the IRchrome for comparison? Did you have a tough time getting your fern past Billy?

Hopefully, I can image my Christmas tree today. It has new grown comming off the branches. But I don't have the IRchrome filter. But will try 183, 729 and #47.

Hi,

I really like that Red Foliage against the Blue Sky. Looks like a very good White Balance with the White Barn Doors.

Very Nicely Done !!

Take Care,

Craig

Same afternoon, same camera, same lens, same settings, same filter, same white balance. Everything is the same, except a slightly different focal length.

One other thing is different, it was shot through a car window, so that may be further filtering the photo to some extent, I don't know, I don't know how much.

Same processing as the above photo, Auto Levels, cropped, and resized in Photoshop.

Foliage still looks red, not orange, not pink... Just not as intensely red as the photo above. Maybe the car window? Maybe the scene, lighting, etc.(?), but still red, and the forklift is yellow.

post-87-0-43829200-1579245882.jpg

That car window filter is making it look much better.

Reminds me of the excellent orange train window filter images Andy shot here:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3275-tiffen-12-tinted-train-window-gloucester-massachusetts-us/

So where is the Kolari filter for comparison?

Now that you have both I would like to see how your camera handles it.

The GBR3 is not as good as genuine KG3 with the 729, as you can tell from my fir tree shots. But I do like the GBR3 with other filters.

Great reds in the first one! The second has more natural looking aerochrome reds (if there is such a thing), and doesn't have any treetop fringing, that appears in the first shot. Nice work with the 729/KG3 stack.

I take it that these are (approximately) IGB images, yes?

The rolling stock on the Amtrak train looks like what is used west of Chicago---is this the Chief or the Zephyr?

Hi Clark, Yes, IGB I think. Basically it is a minus red filter stacked with what is called a 'heat absorbing' filter (tapered off higher IR), KG type filter.

The lower NIR replaces the visual red. Indeed similar to replacing the red channel of a visual shot with an IR shot.

That would be the west coast Amtrak route, Seattle to LA. I think they call it the Starlight.

https://en.wikipedia...t_Starlight.png