UltravioletPhotography

Sony new organic 3 layer sensor a UV photographer's dream?

dabateman

There is a little buzz around the new Sony 3 layer organic sensor. In that its similar, yet different than the Sigma Foveon sensor. Sony has a top Organic quinacridone layer that captures the green signal then uses a traditional back side illuminated sensor with depth to detect the blue (top of silicon) and red channel (lower level of silicon) information.

Why this is special for UV photography is that top Organic layer, it is extremely sensitive to UV than anything else I have seen. Imagine 80% quantum efficiency in UVB, compared to less than 5% with our current sensors. Where the UV signal washes out the IR sinal. This would be very fun.

Down side is that false colors would be very green with little blue and no red. So expect a monochrome image.

post-188-0-97550300-1577888429.png

post-188-0-56104500-1577888455.jpg

post-188-0-64417000-1577888469.jpg

post-188-0-20835200-1577888477.jpg

When I was reading, I thought "80% QE in UV(A), impressive", but in UVB it is simply incredible! You can probably shoot videos in UVB with that! It isn't very sensitive in IR, so it can be used only for UV (and visible), but I don't think that does matter too much for some people. Very strange curve, with that blind spot at ~380-430 nm.

Wow, interesting.

Birna is right...

I would like to see the UV graph for the red and blue channels, just because I do like to see colors in UV, even if they are 'false', so I get wondering about that aspect.

Jonathan,

The sensor was reported here:

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com/2019/12/iedm-2019-sony-3-layer-organic-sensor.html?m=1

But I don't yet have access to that paper.

I pulled the quinacridone from an earlier paper. The New sensor, since it has UVA response as well must also include an other organic sensing molecule.

For us having this layer first and most organic substrates absorbing in the UV is where the magic works in our favor to get that UV signal.

Wow, interesting.

Birna is right...

I would like to see the UV graph for the red and blue channels, just because I do like to see colors in UV, even if they are 'false', so I get wondering about that aspect.

Cadmium for the blue just imagine one of Jonathan recently response curves for a typical sensor. The Blue signal here is just pulled off the top of a BSI sensor. So expect nothing below 350nm, just like a Sigma Foveon sensor as the UV doesn't penetrate deep into silicon sensors. The Red channel on this sensor seems not at the bottom of the well, thus lower IR sensitivity.