UltravioletPhotography

Beaufortia orbifolia [Ravensthorpe Bottlebrush]

DaveO

Oldfield, D. 2019. Beaufortia orbifolia F. Muell. (Myrtacea) Ravensthorpe Bottlebrush. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light.

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

25 December 2019

Australian Native Wildflower as Garden Specimen

Comments:

Beaufortia orbifolia is a very adaptable plant, growing in a range of soils in Western Australia. The genus Beaufortia was named in 1812 by Robert Brown in honour of Mary Somerset, Duchess of Beaufort, who had a private botanic garden and herbarium in England. There are 22 species of beaufortia which all occur in the South West botanical province of Western Australia.

Visible Light: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Metz 15 MS-1 flash, 1/200 s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-18069200-1577574601.jpg

Image Reference: DO66529

Ultraviolet Light: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Nissin Di866 Mark II flash, 1/200s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-57420200-1577574619.jpg

Image Reference: DO66531

Ultraviolet Induced Visible Fluorescence: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens with Baader UV/IR Cut Filter, Nichia NCSU033A UV-LED with Baader UV-Pass Filter, 10.0 s @ f/16 ISO 1600.

post-28-0-35430400-1577574631.jpg

Image Reference: DO66532

References:

Mueller, FJH von (1862). Fragmenta Phytographiae Australiae 3 (21).

Elliott, W.R. and Jones, D.L. Encyclopaedia of Australian Plants suitable for cultivation, Volume 2, 1982, Lothian, p. 312.

Published 29 December 2019

I find it curious that some of the proximal green filament (or those little flower stemlets?) areas are UV absorbing and some are UV reflecting. Flowers are infinitely fascinating!

I should have added, according to Wiki that "It is distinguished from other beaufortias by having green stamen bundles with the free ends red". However Elliott and Jones adds "stamens are lime green with red tips when the brush first opens, later the whole brush becomes bright red". Looks like I need to do some time-lapse shots.

I really must try to get my posting of newly taken flowers in order rather than keep them in the "to do some time" basket. I am also intrigued by seeing more and more as I look more closely.

"stamens are lime green with red tips when the brush first opens, later the whole brush becomes bright red"

Aha! There's the answer. There is a documented change in the underlying chemistry as the flower matures. We've got other examples in the botanical section. The standard example is from certain Myosotis species which change UV reflectivity as the flower matures and ages.

Dave, thanks for that nursery link. Many of the Australian plants are quite useful for gardens in our US desert areas.

"I am also intrigued by seeing more and more as I look more closely."

Yes, sometimes we become so immersed in the photography and the gear that we forget to be good amateur botanists. Amateur botany has a long and respected tradition around the world. Many amateur botanists have written excellent botanical keys, discovered new species and/or made other contributions to the field.