UltravioletPhotography

Hello

Kuvas

I have a Sony A7 that was converted to full spectrum about 3 years ago. Love IR, but I am interested in doing some UV Fluorescence photography too. Thankful I found this website as I have a lot of things to research, but also plan to just do some experimenting with lights. Any advice or links are appreciated - especially if there is something specific to Sony/Sony lenses that I should research further. Thanks for allowing me to join the group.

Kuvas

Welcome.

UV fluorescence is the "easier" style of UV photography. If you want to look at the visible induced fluorescence, you can use any camera and any lens. You just need a filter to block the UV light. A Tiffen 2A I find works well.

For UV induced IR fluorescence, you will need your converted Sony to see the IR. You will need any good IR lens that you have found with your years in IR and a good IR fliter on the lens that you may have.

Now to induce the fluorescence you can use 365nm convoy flash light. A 365nm E26/E27 bulb. Best if the UV source is also filtered to avoid stray visible light in your shot.

For IR induced fluorescence, you have more options. Can use 365nm light, a 405nm light, or even a white LED with a BG39 filter over it. I have been playing with Lee filters over white LED to get IR fluorescence.

Have fun playing.

Hi and welcome!

I think filtering the UV light source is mandatory with fluorescence, because of the contaminating visible light.

Welcome to UVP. Whilst the learning curve might seem steep at times, many members are most willing to help. Do post samples and ask for assistance (best in a separate thread, not in the Introduction).
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...