UltravioletPhotography

Human eye spectral response?

dabateman

Doesn't surprise me that the rods are sensitive. Removal of the lens of the eye has made people sensitive to UV wavelengths. Stands to reason that the eye was always sensitive, but the wavelengths are blocked before they can reach the rods. Similar effect seen by some people after cataract removal.
I clearly observe, though faintly, the UV-dark basal patches on some flowers such as Taraxacum in dull or overcast weather, but never in direct sunlight.

Ulf,

Thats interesting. I will have to practice to see if I see it. I might be but not sure.

I have seen something similar when imaging. But I have thought it to be the usual squiggles that you see in space sometimes.

Our vision is compensating very quickly for the phenomenon, blanking it away.

It is like a very faint afterimage.

My way of seeing it on the screen is to have a big white field to look at.

Then I turn my head (roll direction) to the side at an angle of about 45°, wait and look at the white field.

Then I roll the head 45° in the other direction. The pattern appears, but fades away and is gone after a few seconds.

When you know what to look for you might see it after the first 45° roll, or even at the very first sight of the polarised white screen.

You can see the same phenomenon looking through a polarising filter, looking at a well lit white surface.

That is nice as you have the direction marking on the filter to compare with.

The vision helps to enhance the false image as the lobes are in their complementary colours.

You'll get the best enhancement with a total roll of 90°.

The angles are not very important for seeing it.

Good luck trying to find it.

• 1 year later...

Our vision is compensating very quickly for the phenomenon, blanking it away.

It is like a very faint afterimage.

My way of seeing it on the screen is to have a big white field to look at.

Then I turn my head (roll direction) to the side at an angle of about 45°, wait and look at the white field.

Then I roll the head 45° in the other direction. The pattern appears, but fades away and is gone after a few seconds.

When you know what to look for you might see it after the first 45° roll, or even at the very first sight of the polarised white screen.

You can see the same phenomenon looking through a polarising filter, looking at a well lit white surface.

That is nice as you have the direction marking on the filter to compare with.

The vision helps to enhance the false image as the lobes are in their complementary colours.

You'll get the best enhancement with a total roll of 90°.

The angles are not very important for seeing it.

Good luck trying to find it.

I was so disappointed as I thought I was among the individuals that don't experience this phenomenon, but your head turning trick did it for me. That was trippy to see it for the first time. Thank you.