UltravioletPhotography

Yongnuo YN-660 flash for UV

colinbm

The Yongnuo YN-660 flash converted for UV photography is discussed in this YouTube....

In the video Don says the flash is un-coated.

Can this be verified & / or are there better choices please ?

Cheers

Col

Thanks Steve

I agree with this too..." The ideal flash stack is U-340 2mm + S8612 2mm. "

This flash should fit most digital cameras...Canon, Nikon, Olympic & Panasonic...etc ?

Thanks Steve

I agree with this too..." The ideal flash stack is U-340 2mm + S8612 2mm. "

So do I.

You'll only need to filter the flash's light for fluorescence photography.

I have never tried that and cannot tell if this flash is powerful enough.

It is always difficult to compare zooming modern flashes based on their guide number.

An alternative flash with a non coated flash tube and more power is the Godox AD200 with the Speedlite H200 Head.

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3206-is-the-godox-ad200-ttl-pocket-flash-kit-uv-convertable/

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3242-intensity-comparison-between-canon-199a-and-godox-ad200/

The Godox is of the same generation as the Yongnuo YN-660 flash but with more power.

It is more expensive, but also more flexible, with many accessories. You'll also need to get a camera type-dependent remote adapter to trigger it from the camera.

I really like the Godox AD200 and now have two of them.

I think they are the ideal flashes for UV if you want something portable running on batteries.

I have almost abandoned the AD600 as too much light is lost due to the wide angle.

It could be that a different a differently shaped quartz tube than the ring-shaped one I experimented with could work better, but the AD600 is big heavy and bulky.

I am using the AD200s with the bulb heads and reflectors equipped with special quartz tubes to get a slightly better illumination and control of the light over a bigger area.

That forces me to have a bigger working distance too.

I started learning how to best use them indoors with flowers I brought home into a controlled environment.

Now I think I will be able to use them in the field too, eliminating the problem of movement due to the here ever present wind.

I also checked the result with the Speedlite H200 Head with internal filter, but with the fresnel lens removed.

Then I could get closer and had almost the same exposure as with quartz tubes and the bigger standard reflector.

Even if the Speedlite H200 Head have less UV-AB, I could not see any distinct difference in the images.

That makes sense as the combination of UV-pass stack and camera sensitivity would cancel most signals below say 355nm.

During a session I go through more than 10 filters from BG38/2mm only to S8612/2mm + U-360/2mm.

With my EL-Nikkor 80/5.6 at f/16 and the camera at ISO 100, I adjust the distance of the flashes running at 1/128 power with the BG38/2mm, for a good exposure level and illumination pattern.

With the S8612/2mm + U-360/2mm then the flashes has to run at 1/1 and sometimes I need a few steps of increased ISO.

This is for a macro setup where I also lose a step or two light due to the magnification.

For less magnification I have to back the flashes away a bit more.

I am running the flashes in manual mode to get a better control and repeatability and after some practice I have gotten a good grasp of suitable settings for each filter stack-up

You could run with TTL, but the response is fooled by the odd filtering and colour balance.

I hope to use the H200 heads outdoors next blooming season as they are less bulky.

Sorry Col, but all the sensitive stuff is broken down and packed into their boxes for the winter.

My UV-indoor studio was at my in-glased balcony where it is cold and humid in the winter.

It was the only place I had free for arranging the UV-photo setup.

If there is something special of the parts you want to see I can unpack and snap some images, but it is too much trouble to rebuild the full setup.

If so please let me know what parts you'd like to see.

/U