•  

My work

Fluorescence
60 replies to this topic

#41 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 22:35

Black, so that one is blue? Is it made of some other type of material, just a difference color perhaps?
I have no experience with 3D printing. :blink: :smile:

#42 JCDowdy

JCDowdy

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 14:47

Cadmium,
I think the blue one you are referring to is an onscreen 3D computer rendering.

#43 UlfW

Ulf W

• Members+G
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 15:49

View PostBernard Foot, on 20 November 2019 - 20:50, said:

The 3rd shot is a photograph of the flash tube itself. Exposure was ISO 100, f/8. There's very little visible leakage, bearing in mind the extreme brightness of the tube. (You can see that there is a crack in the filter, but I doubt that this was leaking enough visible light to account for the dramatic difference in the first shot.)

So I really don't know what to think. Because of the third shot I'm tending to think there is little leakage. Any other opinions?

You can always force some light through one of these filters, but the intensity here is very low and will only be disturbing with an extremely low intensity of the fluorescence.

A good filter to put on the camera to eliminate more of the UV is a Tiffen Haze 2A. It is cutting the UV quite well.
It do not have any fluorescence in the filter-material, in the same way as the expensive and now obsolete KV-series of laminated filters from Schott.
The GG-type glasses from Schott have fluorescence.
Ulf Wilhelmson
Curious and trying to see the invisible.

#44 Craigk79

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:52

https://www.youtube....6e1v4y1Z2Ft_ZKU

#45 UlfW

Ulf W

• Members+G
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:31

View PostCadmium, on 18 November 2019 - 18:04, said:

Years back, Pylon did some tests comparing the difference between a 199A flash filtered with U-340 alone, and filtered with U-340 + S8612,
there IS a difference.
https://www.ultravio...ndpost__p__9952

I wonder if there is a difference in the fluorescence between illumination by a properly filtered flash with U-340 + S8612, compared to a narrow band UV-LED light-source.
The obvious advantage with the flash is the short time for the illumination, when the motif is moving, but are there any differences in the colours?
Ulf Wilhelmson
Curious and trying to see the invisible.

#46 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:16

View PostUlfW, on 10 December 2019 - 07:31, said:

I wonder if there is a difference in the fluorescence between illumination by a properly filtered flash with U-340 + S8612, compared to a narrow band UV-LED light-source.
The obvious advantage with the flash is the short time for the illumination, when the motif is moving, but are there any differences in the colours?

Actually there just might be. And this has been on my to do list for a while. A filtered 199A flash will have more 380nm-390nm, than 365-370nm light of an LED. I have seen more brilliant fluorescence using my 405nm LED and Mark gets great images with his cyan light, which I think is near 488nm.

Also its known that the fluorescence colors are different for rocks as an example when illuminated with either a 250nm UVc light or 365nm UVA light.

#47 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members+G
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:28

View PostCraigk79, on 10 December 2019 - 05:52, said:

Interesting modification. In the future please be much more careful with the screw driver to pry off the parts. It looked like you were about to slice into your hand. Sometimes its best to remove parts, slowly, carefully with tweezers. I use various metal and plastic tweezers to remove things.

#48 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:47

Craig, Great video! Thanks. :smile:
Warn people about the danger of UV light, and to wear eye protection.

#49 Craigk79

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 20:43

View Postdabateman, on 10 December 2019 - 08:28, said:

Interesting modification. In the future please be much more careful with the screw driver to pry off the parts. It looked like you were about to slice into your hand. Sometimes its best to remove parts, slowly, carefully with tweezers. I use various metal and plastic tweezers to remove things.

It might not look like it but I had things under control.

View PostCadmium, on 10 December 2019 - 08:47, said:

Craig, Great video! Thanks. :smile:
Warn people about the danger of UV light, and to wear eye protection.

There is a warning right at the start.

#50 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:24

Craig, Oh you are right, big print right at the start, after the dragonfly, sorry I was probably still thinking about the dragonfly image, which is always amazing.
You even warn about the capacitor, very good, and you warn about touching the bulb, which I never knew about.
Thanks.

Edited by Cadmium, 11 December 2019 - 05:09.

#51 Craigk79

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 21:00

I edited the description and added a link to the forums :D

#52 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:47

I got the black 3D printed flash adapter from Craig today, very nicely made!
I don't have the flash yet, but the filters fit in nice and tight, so no light leak except the top edge, which Craig uses black silicon to seal up.
I am pretty impressed.

#53 Craigk79

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 21:38

Thank you :)

#54 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:26

Here is a picture of the filter adapter. I have used a little slice of Pelican TrekPak made to fit the Pelican 1300 case, this I used to cap off the top and block any light leak along the top.
It works well, no light leak is visible with the foam/I-beam pushed down on both ends. It is cut the same length as the filter glass, and slides down on both sides in the adapter, just like the glass does.
I am using this for now, just so I don't have to dedicate the holder to one stack or type of filter.

Filters are very snug and push into holder nice if you stack them first and push them in together.
They will pull back out, but they are tight, so use thumb and fingers on front and back of filter stack to pull them back up and out together.
You probably will not need to ever remove the filters from the holder, since the holder slides off the flash easily.
You can just use some black silicon or even black tape to seal the top edge which really doesn't leak much light at all, and the holder leaks no light anywhere else, because the filters slide in so tight.
Neither tape or silicon are permanent, both can be removed fairly easily if needed.

This is the TrekPak I used. I just happened to have this for something else.
One cell width slice of one of these height dividers (other heights may work also, some are too short), then cut to length of filter glass:
https://www.pelican....iders/1300tpdiv

This adapter is great!
Attached Image: 3D_Adapter_with_foam.jpg

Edited by Cadmium, 17 December 2019 - 07:03.

#55 Andy Perrin

• Members+G
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:50

Cadmium, I am having trouble understanding what this is/how it works?

#56 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:02

It is a 3D printed filter holder/adapter for the Yongnuo yn 560 iii flash, that Craig makes.

I will say it again, I am very impressed with Craig's 3D printed filter holder. He can make things!

Edited by Cadmium, 17 December 2019 - 08:51.

#57 Craigk79

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:31

View PostCadmium, on 17 December 2019 - 08:02, said:

It is a 3D printed filter holder/adapter for the Yongnuo yn 560 iii flash, that Craig makes.

I will say it again, I am very impressed with Craig's 3D printed filter holder. He can make things!
Thank you :)

#58 Cadmium

• Members+G
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:15

I never get tired of watching Even's (Pylon on here) great video about UVIVF (fluorescence).
This is a very well done video.
https://youtu.be/SE2lAgG-tAk

So many things to do, but eventually I will do a Sparticle and exposure tests comparing the Canon 199A and the Yongnuo yn 560 iii flashes.
Should be interesting.

Edited by Cadmium, 19 December 2019 - 08:28.

#59 Nite

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 21:41

I also managed to modify the YN560. Thanks for the tutorial video. I wanted to check if it matters which way around the filters are stacked eg should one be in front of the other or does it not matter? To be honest, I'm struggling to get decent fluorescence with this modified flash. Any tips on camera settings?

#60 Stefano

• Members(+)
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 22:12

I don't have any experience with flashes, but I can tell you filter order doesn't matter.

https://www.ultravio...ter-stack-order