UltravioletPhotography

Quick Note about Upload Size and Pixel Dimensions

Andrea B.

I just added some clarification (I hope!) to this: Publishing Guidelines: Upload File Size and Pixel Dimensions

I'll copy that clarification here to ensure everyone reads it.

Do be sure you check out the JPG Quality demo in the link if you have never read it before. I've always been a bit surprised that reducing the JPG quality setting does no harm to the photo as displayed within UVP's pages.

Side Note: It has always been a bit difficult to figure out what this forum software is actually doing!

There is no setting in the forum software which can limit the megabyte size of an uploaded file. However, we can set a limit on the pixel dimensions of the displayed photo. Currently this is not set because the forum software will automatically resize pixel dimensions for best display within the page. For best display of your photo, please read the following carefully as there are good reasons for you to voluntarily limit both file size and pixel dimensions using your own software prior to uploading.

SUGGESTED DIMENSIONS

Save your JPG images at

• Maximum dimensions between 800-1200 pixels wide for best page display.

• Maximum 50% - 80% JPG quality for smaller file size and faster loading.
    The demo below shows that a lower JPG quality does not affect the quality of your displayed photo within this forum software.

Thank you!

• If the photo file megabyte size is large, then it will slow down the loading of the topic or photo from the server. We don't pay for storage space, but we do pay for shared server CPU usage.

• If the photo file has large pixel dimensions, then the forum software will resize it for you.
    Note that this is not always a bad thing as the forum software does a reasonably good job of resizing.

• Practice with your own photo app to determine which combination of pixel dimension and JPG quality works best for your photo.

I have now settled on 1024x768 for my M43rds images. Seems to work from Infran viewer. If I only intend to post here, its also a small image size available for jpegs directly available in the Olympus Em1 and Em5mk2 cameras.

The maximum file size for the lodestar X2C is only 752x580. So those files I can post directly.