UltravioletPhotography

Another Aerochrome Stack

eye4invisible

I've been experimenting with some dichroic glass (also known as gobo projector glass, typically used for architectural lighting).

Discovered an aerochrome-esque rendition when stacking the green dichroic glass with KG3.

For comparison, I took 4 shots:

• Visible (to compare the IR tones to the various species of trees)
  • Dichroic green 55mm x 0.7mm thick
  • Dichroic green 55mm x 0.7mm thick + Schott KG3 52mm x 2mm thick
  • Hrommagicus 52mm

All shots were taken on my full spectrum Sony A7 with the 28-70mm lens at 70mm, and with the camera in APS-C mode (so, no discolouration around the periphery of the images). The only post processing done was a light exposure adjustment, straightening, cropping and re-sizing.

It was a bit cloudy, so the tones are a little muted, but it was still a worthwhile experiment.

Visible (f/5.6. 1/400s, ISO 100):

post-116-0-80337500-1572831830.jpg

Dichroic green (f/5.6. 1/200s, ISO 100):

post-116-0-63325700-1572832008.jpg

Dichroic green + Schott KG3 (f/5.6, 1/80s, ISO 100):

post-116-0-33708600-1572832095.jpg

Hrommagicus (f/5.6, 1/30s, ISO 100):

post-116-0-71973600-1572832416.jpg

Opinion: the Hrommagicus is still a better filter for the rendition of reds SOOC. I am able to achieve some reds SOOC with the dichroic green stacked with KG3, however the aquamarine tone to the sky means a little more editing. Still, not bad for a $3.00 piece of dichroic glass when stacked with KG3, and I think I would have got more reds if I had taken this in the summer.

Andy, nice autumn foliage tests.

The only such dichroic filter I have tried this way is the Lee C47, special order yet inexpensive enough, but like many other filters produces orange foliage.

https://www.leefilte...#C47&filter=dgf

example, of course this was not shot in the autumn, more like May I think.

https://www.ultravio...-1557448713.jpg

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3263-lee-729-183-c47-dichroic-compared/page__view__findpost__p__27376

eye4invisible

Andy, nice autumn foliage tests.

The only such dichroic filter I have tried this way is the Lee C47, special order yet inexpensive enough, but like many other filters produces orange foliage.

Yes, Lee calls it turquoise, but I suspect it's the same/similar tone to my cyan dichroic glass - renders oranges much like the IRChrome.

I need to run some more stacking tests - perhaps cyan + KG3.

somebody please remind me again what is the Hrommagicus and how did it get that name? thx!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrea, Hrommagicus is the name that Ninjin (Evgeniya) created for the 729 + KG3 stack (Chrome + Magic), I like the name.

David, the 'Chrome' refers to the original Kodak film, Kodachrome, Ektachrome, and in this case Aerochrome.

Blue = Visible Blue, Green = Visible Green, Red = IR (using a full spectrum camera white balanced on a gray card, such as WhiBal, SOOC, no processing).