UltravioletPhotography

Back Online

Andrea B.

At last!

We decided to go for cable access to the internet, phone (land line) and TV. A 3-part package was the best option for what we needed out here on our little 6 acres of the Wild West. We wanted an ordinary old-fashioned backup phone in addition to our two cellies. (The SigOth calls that having both "belt and suspenders".) Also, cable Internet seems to offer the fastest connectivity here.

It took a while for the gear to arrive. And then after installing it all, nothing worked! The cable company - Xfinity/Comcast - was *very* helpful. I had heard such terrible things about their customer service, but they certainly seem to have cleaned up their act here. They sent a technician out on a Sunday morning at about 8 am to investigate. Turns out that in our Mechanical Closet (which contains hot water boilers, pumps, and connections for natural gas, electricity, telephone, cable and so forth. I've never had a Mechanical Closet before!) there are 10 mystery ports and, of course, the internet/TV/phone cable was plugged into the wrong one. You'll have to forgive us for missing that one. But now we've learned and hopefully can keep up the connectivity.

But that little mystery port snafu was not the only problem. The second snag was that our drop cable from the neighborhood Xfinity terminal to our Mechanical Closet has deteriorated. So we will be having periodic, unpredicitable outages until it is replaced within the next month. Xfinity has already been here to mark the underground path which they discovered with some kind of sonic device. In case I disappear in the middle of a conversation during the next month, you now know why.

Now it's time for me to get caught up with what everyone has been doing! And I have a couple of botanical entries to make as I managed to photograph some New Mexican flowers before the hard frost. It is nice to get back to the forum and to making photos after the long disruption caused by moving house 2000 miles across the continent.

Best regards -

Andrea B. :bee:

UVP, Western Division

Santa Fe, New Mexico

Bill De Jager

Andrea, glad to see you're settling in and back online. Hoping to see some new flower photos next spring. :cool:

I still have that UV-Nikkor which is weighing on me for not being used in quite a while :wacko: . I'll need to be more like a :bee: . I actually have trip photos to process and post including some in IR and UV, but some physical issues in the house are currently occupying our attention.