UltravioletPhotography

Hrommagicus IR Filter - Field Test

eye4invisible

eye4invisible

Managed to take the Hrommagicus filter out for a field test today (and checked off a few bucket list locations in the process). Except for the last shot, all colours are SOOC, no post-processing - only resized the images.

Britannia Farmhouse, Mississauga (a farm near the centre of the city, owned by the local school board for educational purposes). Sony A7 full spectrum, Sony 28-70mm kit lens @ 70mm, ƒ/5.6, 1/100sec, ISO 100. Custom white balance against concrete/asphalt/gravel. Even under a setting sun at around 5:00pm, the shutter speed was quick:

post-116-0-89669400-1571439507.jpg

Old Britannia Schoolhouse, Mississauga. Sony 28-77mm kit lens @ 28mm, ƒ/3.5, 1/80sec, ISO 100. Slight vignetting in the corners, as the Sony lens thread is 55mm, and the Hrommagicus is 52mm:

post-116-0-13010400-1571442352.jpg

Mail Box. Sony 28-77mm kit lens @ 28mm ƒ/3.5, 1/200sec, ISO 100 (APS-C crop mode, left on in error):

post-116-0-94203700-1571442863.jpg

Phap Van Vietnamese Buddhist Cultural Centre, Mississauga. Foton 50mm ƒ/1.5 projection lens, camera APS-C mode, 1/250sec, ISO 100. Taken around 4:00pm:

post-116-0-55058400-1571443493.jpg

Phap Van Vietnamese Buddhist Cultural Centre. Sony 28-70mm kit lens @ 58mm, ƒ/5, 1/50sec, ISO 100:

post-116-0-41220200-1571444060.jpg

Lens flare colour test - all red. Phap Van Vietnamese Buddhist Cultural Centre. Sony 28-70mm kit lens @ 28mm, ƒ/10, 1/5sec, ISO 100:

post-116-0-68803500-1571444438.jpg

BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir Hindu Temple, Etobicoke. This one has been on my bucket list for quite a while now. You can imagine how peeved I was to finally get a chance to go there, only to see this magnificent structure clad in scaffolding! Anyhow, since I was there, I figured I would take some photos anyway - going to have to go back again when the repairs are complete. Sony 28-70mm kit lens @ 28mm, ƒ/3.5, 1/500sec (even though it was very cloudy) ISO 100:

post-116-0-33531300-1571445583.jpg

Here's an interesting observation: normally, flags are completely white under IR (I'm assuming the dyes in the polyester do not reflect the same as in the visible). Under the Hrommagicus, the red and white stripes of the Hindu flags are maintained. Sony 28-70mm kit lens @ 70mm, ƒ/5.6, 1/400sec, ISO 125:

post-116-0-09229600-1571446072.jpg

Bonus shot, since this is UVP after all. Sony 28-70mm kit lens @ 58mm, ƒ/5.6, 1/30sec, ISO 1600, Kolari Vision 365nm UV pass filter, taken around 1:00pm. Processed in LR for HSL/tonality, then re-sized:

post-116-0-78960100-1571447184.jpg

All in all, I really like this filter. The next post I do will be using the Hrommagicus for portraits.

Some fun images.

I also will use it on flowers in my multiple spectrum series. Get an interesting leaf red pop. Need to look at more to see if changes the pattern in the flower.

I also need to see what is the best controlled light for it. My UVB has enough IR. But a Hallogen lamp, white LEd, white compact fluorescent light or incandescent bulb all have different amounts and types of IR that provide slightly different effects.

Still fun to play with.

Andy, It is great to see these examples. Thanks for posting these.

I also like the shot you sent me of the landscape shot from a balcony, hopefully you will post that for others to see also.

I also like the dog. The first one up top is maybe my favorite.

The red on the flag is IR. The filter only transmits visual blue and green , no visual red at all, and near IR starting at about 720nm, with IR peaking at about 780nm (see graph below).

So no visual red gets through the filter. Anything that is red is from IR, even if the visual color was red also.

If you look at anything red through the filter with your eyes, it will look black.

post-87-0-89764700-1571520285.jpg

I also wanted to mention a few settings:

I have been using a Nikon D7000, so these settings may not work the same for other cameras.

I usually shoot using "landscape" (menu/set picture control/landscape).

Also, I tend to use exposure compensation because the filter can tend to make things look slightly overexposed in AP mode. 0 to -1, but this may not be needed for other cameras.

Other than that, sometimes I try Auto Contrast or Auto Levels in Photoshop, but if those don't look better than I use use the shot as is.

I white balance in camera, from a WhiBal card for this filter.

Lately i have been using the histogram to check for over/underexposure and that’s let me rescue a lot more photos in postprocessing (from RAW).
eye4invisible
Some fun images. I also will use it on flowers in my multiple spectrum series. Get an interesting leaf red pop. Need to look at more to see if changes the pattern in the flower.

Thanks. Here's a very quick shot of a yellow flower (I have no idea what it is). The petals look just like the visible, only the surrounding foliage is now red. Again, everything is SOOC, with just a re-sizing of the image:

post-116-0-41718500-1571623298.jpg

eye4invisible

Nice collection Andy, I like this filter.....

Very surprised the red in the flag survived ?

Thanks.

Actually it looks like some transformation does happen in the colour of some other flags.

Second one in from the left is the Greek flag, which is blue and white in the visible, but the blue has turned a light purple with the Hrommagicus. Sixth flag in from the left is the Brazilian flag, and the green has become yellow; the yellow portion of the flag has stayed yellow:

post-116-0-22325400-1571624010.jpg

eye4invisible

I also wanted to mention a few settings:

I have been using a Nikon D7000, so these settings may not work the same for other cameras.

I usually shoot using "landscape" (menu/set picture control/landscape).

Also, I tend to use exposure compensation because the filter can tend to make things look slightly overexposed in AP mode. 0 to -1, but this may not be needed for other cameras.

Unlike with my Nikon D3200, I often do have to use exposure comp of +1 to +2 with higher nm filters on my A7, but didn't need to do so with the Hrommagicus. EC does mean that I get a slower shutter speed sometimes, but it's still manageable hand-held.

eye4invisible

Lately i have been using the histogram to check for over/underexposure and that’s let me rescue a lot more photos in postprocessing (from RAW).

Yep, I use the histogram all the time, regardless of the spectrum band I'm shooting.

Unlike with my Nikon D3200, I often do have to use exposure comp of +1 to +2 with higher nm filters on my A7, but didn't need to do so with the Hrommagicus. EC does mean that I get a slower shutter speed sometimes, but it's still manageable hand-held.

Thanks Andy :-)

Yes, the 729 filter is a rather dark filter.

Andy, It is great to see these examples. Thanks for posting these.

I also like the shot you sent me of the landscape shot from a balcony, hopefully you will post that for others to see also.

I also like the dog. The first one up top is maybe my favorite.

The red on the flag is IR. The filter only transmits visual blue and green , no visual red at all, and near IR starting at about 720nm, with IR peaking at about 780nm (see graph below).

So no visual red gets through the filter. Anything that is red is from IR, even if the visual color was red also.

If you look at anything red through the filter with your eyes, it will look black.

post-87-0-89764700-1571520285.jpg

The color output is great !!! Very intense and deep reds :smile: If Hrromagicus is a variant of ScubaKG3 and according to the transmittance curve, I fear that shutter speeds are pretty long (or ISO high), isn't it ? :unsure:

eye4invisible

If Hrromagicus is a variant of ScubaKG3 and according to the transmittance curve, I fear that shutter speeds are pretty long (or ISO high), isn't it ? :unsure:

I would say no to a slow shutter speed and high ISO.

I quoted the EXIF for each shot in the original post. 1/100sec at ƒ/5.6, ISO 100, is quite good for a shot taken in the early evening (17h00) with a setting sun, for example.

All of the shots in the original post were taken hand-held, no exposure compensation.

• 6 months later...

Hi Andy,

This is what bugs me with the Hrommagicus stack and I don't understand and that is why I was skeptical with this solution even when I first discussed it with David Tweede as I was finishing the last prototype for Kolari with IRChrome. I shoot with a full spectrum Canon 6D MKII and 16-35 mm f/4 L IS lens. I attached a Lee 729 scuba with KG3 2mm on front and even if the color are alike David's first tests I never managed to reach the speed you have Andy. Now it's full spring here in France and I just shot the below picture in full sun (mid day, no clouds, very bright light). For a well balanced image here are my (very poor) results : f/5 - 1/50s - ISO100. These settings make the filter unusable for me. I'm just trying to understand how come you have these incredible speed results and I can't even if we are both using full-spectrum cameras and the same filter stack... It's a mystery !

post-235-0-83061200-1589708796.jpg