UltravioletPhotography

Tussilago farfara [Colt's Foot]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Tussilago farfara L. (Asteraceae) Colt's Foot. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light, with fluorescence. https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/354-tussilago-farfara-colts-foot/

Tussilago farfara L.

NO: Hestehov

SE: Hästhov

DK: Følfod

FI: Leskenlehti

IS: Hóffífill

DE: Huflattich

EN: Colt's-foot; Coltsfoot

T. farfara is the sole representative of the genus Tussilago and is native to Eurasia. Elsewhere it is an introduced and sometimes invasive species. It belongs to the very early spring-flowering plants and is a popular herald announcing the coming spring. The plant colonises clayey or damp soils and can occur over a wide range of habitats as long as it is not shaded by other vegetation. The flowering stems in spring are short and devoid of leaves, only scattered scales are present. Later, the summer foliage develops and the spring stems wither. The plant contains a number of alkaloids and has been used in folk medicine for thousands of years as a recipe against coughing and asthma. New research throws some doubt as to the wholesome effects from Tussilago due to the presence of toxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids

As flowering can occur as early as in February, T. farfara flower heads are eagerly visited by a wide range of pollinators in search of pollen and nectar at a time where alternative sources are scant. The capitula comprise numerous ligules (ray florets), most of which are sterile. The innermost rays are female and have exserted styles. The disc flowers are male and in the usual Compositae manner they develop radially from the periphery towards the centre of the capitulum.

TUSS_FAR_I1204240346_VIS.jpg

TUSS_FAR_I1204244686_UV.jpg

TUSS_FAR_I1304100413_UV.jpg

TUSS_FAR_I1304210252_UV.jpg

TUSS_FAR_I1304100409_UV.jpg

TUSS_FAR_I1104172218_UV.jpg

TUSS_FAR_I0703263816_UVIFL.jpg

TUSS_FAR_I0803226926_UV.jpg

TUSS_FAR_D940413224_VIS.jpg

TUSS_FAR_D940413132_UV.jpg

References:

Röder, E., "Medicinal plants in Europe containing pyrrolizidine alkaloids", Pharmazie, 1995, pp83-98