UltravioletPhotography

Move to Santa Fe in Progress - At Last!

Andrea B.

The moving van leaves today, Friday 04 Oct, and will arrive in Santa Fe probably 10 Oct. It took 4.5 days to pack and load!! Now I have some house cleaning and other last minute chores to take care of before flying to Santa Fe.

I’ll try to check in as best I can until I have internet connectivity in Santa Fe. Meanwhile, thank you for helping out by answering questions and commenting posts. UVP members are the best!!!!

See you soon!

Best Regards - Andrea B.

A bold move indeed. Cross fingers everything works to satisfaction and the stuff survives the ordeal ....

Must study airline routes into Santa Fe.

Congratulations on getting it in.

Thats a hard part, usually have to throw away lots of junk.

I hope you and your stuff makes it safely.

• 2 weeks later...

We made it to Santa Fe!

This afternoon we are "shopping" for Internet at a local wi-fi cafe.

Hope to be back online very soon.

Cheers -

Andrea B.

Accept my most sincere congratulations. Now, to check what kind of airline that will provide service were I to visit :)

Will you get a cowgirl outfit and a Colt Peacemaker? :)

I'll guess that it is mostly grey in UV.

Like Kansas! Kansas is grey even in visible light, according to "The Wizard of Oz."

Andrea, I thought you were moving to Albuquerque.

Must have made a wrong turn in the tunnel. Yo Simity Sam will set it straight.

I hope everything made it in one piece.

Hello All ---

We all made it in one piece! Me, the SigOth and two pet cats all flew into Santa Fe from New Jersey on a chartered Lear Jet. That was my first ride *ever* on such a plane. Smooth as silk, best airplane ride ever. (And likely my last on a private jet - lol !!) I tell you true, I have got one very fine and thoughtful SigOth to have provided such transportation to a new home.

The furniture and boxes arrived a day later. It was a *very* smooth move with a terrific crew of packers and movers. No damage apparent so far. They literally wrapped the furniture in this wrap stuff and then strapped moving blankets around it. Michael's grand piano was still in tune!

It may take us another month to unpack everything though. Geez! Remind me never to make such a long distance move again if it involves packing and unpacking.

We are both going thru some adjustment to the altitude at about 7000 feet (about 2100 meters, I think). It doesn't bother me much during the day, but sleep is disturbed sometimes. And we tire easily if we push too hard. Fortunately, adjustment is already occuring. Although I don't think I'm going to try running anywhere for another few days.

Most of the photo gear and filters made the trip in their original packaging, so I'm happy I did save those boxes (even tho it is difficult to find a place to store such stuff). I used a Lowepro Roller to move such lenses as the UV-Nikkor and its buddies.

We got cable internet ordered. The pieces & parts are in shipment and will arrive in 5-7 days. Then I won't have to travel to a wi-fi cafe or our nice little local library to post updates. Wi-fi is OK in these places but not super speedy. Too painful to comment all topics. But I will catch up to everything soon.

It will be so cool to photograph these new surroundings in UV and IR. We have mountains in the distance and are in a dry, high-desert eco-system. There are 300+ sunny days per year. Is that ideal for reflected UV/IR photography or what? Sunscreen and hats are mandatory.

We are in what is called a Juniper Scrub area with Alpine areas next to that. It is not true desert like what one typically thinks of with sand. Actually the junipers and pinyon pines and shrubs and flowers provide a very lush look in its own way on either a grassy or gravelly background. The colors are subtle and beautiful. We have lots of sagebrush-like plants - primarily rabbitbrush with its yellow bloom still strong in October. Lots of purple asters currently also. And still a few scattered wildflowers such as Grindelia (gumweed), Senecio, Xanthisma and Broomweed. I haven't seen any actual tumbleweeds this far north in New Mexico, but we do have an interesting stick tumbleweed which I'm trying to discover the name of. Several have blown up around the patios. We have the prettiest little aspen trees around the house. The leaves in the wind are so entrancing with their brilliant fall yellow color.

I just harvested about 50 plums off a nice minature plum tree in the enclosed courtyard. What a treat to find that growing there. They are so delicious.

All for now - I'll be back online daily very soon. I miss talking with everyone!

Meanwhile, thank you again for keeping the conversation going and answering questions.

Best regards & cheers --

Andrea B.

Owner/Admin UltravioletPhotography.com

Western Division: Santa Fe, New Mexico

CEO of Western Division of UVP -- of course, you should do air travel in style :smile: :smile:

Congratulations on your return towards western style normalcy.

Congratulations on the move Andrea, and good luck in the new place :)

Let's see some pictures of it when you get the chance (in a variety of wavelengths).