UltravioletPhotography

My hectic summer season documenting aquatic species is drawing to an end these days. "Only" the write-up remains as the photography is nearly completed for the time being. This enables me to take a look at the gear for UV and IR which alas has been collecting dust for some time now. Time to bring a change spo today I went for a trip carrying only my old, trustworthy Fuji S5Pro (full spectrum), together with suitable lenses such as the vintage 28-45mm f/4.5 Zoom-Nikkor (1977) and Nikkor-H 85mm f/1.8 (1975). Filters were O56 deep orange in various sizes.

The RAF files from the S5Pro are notoriously difficult to process, even using Fuji's own proprietary and enigmatic software. Thus I relied once again on Silkypix (v. 8.32) that handles this RAW format quite well. Another option is RawTherapee, which is the approach of choice with my Linux boxes.

The weather was overcast with rain imminent. The last nights have been very cold, down to the freezing point in fact, so autumn foliage ought to be quite colourful. My photographs from today bore out this assumption.

B201910010243_Dryopteris_autumn_colours_28-45_S5Pro.jpg

With the 28-45.

b201910010245_red_car_autumn_colours_Fuji_S5Pro_sRGB.jpg

With the 28-45.

B201910010251_85mmf1,8K_autumn_Fuji_S5Pro.jpg

With the 85/1.8.

These are representative of the results I got today using a hand-held camera.

The S5Pro will never win a prize for technical quality or sharpness, but otherwise it suits this kind of contemplative photography perfectly. The old Nikkors did their best to complement the camera.

The one with the ferns is my favourite too.

Very nice!

The very high saturation is a bit shocking at first, but then I see all the nuances and details.