UltravioletPhotography

Nikon D70 vs Nikon D200

MoonIsHigh

How do you think, is it worth to change a camera Nikon D70 to Nikon D200? Now i have Nikon D70 without a hot mirror for UV and infrared shooting. I can buy D200, but i heard that older cameras the better for UV and IR. How do you think? Someone have Nikon D200 without the hot mirror for UV and IR shooting?

I think you need to ask yourself what you want in a camera upgrade. There are also a lot of miss information out there.

First an older camera was thought to be better, mainly due to a weaker UV/IR block filter. But if you are going to remove that, then it wouldn't be a factor. Also its not true that all old cameras have weak blocking filters.

Next CCD are not more sensitive than CMOS sensors. Now its the opposite. Newer CMOS sensors quantum efficiency is much greater than CCD sensor, thus why you will not see anyone adding a CCD to there cameras and Sony has officially stoped making CCD chips since 2015.

Next it may now be true that the once said newest sensor is always better for UV photography may not be true. As newest sensors are adding AR, antireflection coatings, directly on the sensor coverglass and may have optical low pass filter directly on the sensor, limiting the deeper UV. So there may be an optimum camera age.

Then why buy a Nikon DSLR for UV photography? The flange mount is the biggest and White balance is the hardest in mutispectra. Even if all your good lenses are Nikon mount, you can adapt those to a smaller mirrorless camera.

So better to ask your self, what do you want in an upgrade?

Live view is near critical for multi spectral imaging. So I would first look for that feature and the D200 does not have it.

I agree with dabateman. Get something with live view. I personally like mirrorless cameras and I've been happy with my two converted Sonys, the NEX-7 and A7S (this last is my current camera). Others here like Nikon and Canon. Support for high dynamic range is crucial for UV.

Defiantly get a camera with live view. That is very important for anything IR, or UV.

I only have experience with Nikon DSLR's.

I was very happy with my D90, and I use a D7000 now.

Those both have live view.

Live view is a must!

If your motifs will make you place the camera low and in odd positions, then an articulated LCD-screen is even better.

I run into such situations often with the camera placed low, when photographing flowers.

Thank you for your advices and information. Nikon D7000 is expensive for me, but if i very need to, i'll buy it. Now i think to buy D3100. Is there a really big difference between D7000 and D3100?
  • 2 weeks later...

the advantage of the D200 and I had four converted was that you can white balance almost anything directly from the camera using a scene referred white balance technique. clearly live view is significant but when I got the first D300s all pass they had already modified the white balance algorithm and it was limited.

just so you know, I only use converted D800's now having given away all my D200's and the D300s.