UltravioletPhotography

Ceropegia sandersonii [Umbrella Plant]

Adrian

Davies A. (2019) Ceropegia sandersonii Decne. ex Hook.f. (Apocynaceae) Umbrella Flower. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet reflected, fluorescence and visible light. https://www.ultravio...ia-sandersonii/

Surrey, UK

September, 2019

Home grown specimen of wildflower

Other Names:

• Umbrella Plant
  • Fountain Flower
  • Parachute Plant

Comment:

Some time ago I posted some first images of this fascinating plant: Ceropegia sandersonii. The plant, given to me by a friend, has flowered again giving a better chance of doing both UVR and UVIF images.

I'm not sure if the results are botanically useful, but the UVIF, in particular, is really interesting. The UVR does not seem to much variation in its UV signature which is primarily UV-reflective although the spots on top of the umbrella show some UV-absorption.

The flower was difficult to photograph given its shape and structure. The flower traps insects for a time during which the they gather pollen for pollination.

These are some of the first results with my newly converted Nikon D800 full spectrum camera, and my new Nikon D850 for the UVIF, which is looking very good!

Reference:

1. Proctor, M, Yeo, P, and Lack, A. (1996) “The Natural History of Pollination”. Harper Collins New Naturalist.

2. Wikipedia (Nov 2019) Cereopagia sandersonii. Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco, CA. https://en.wikipedia...gia_sandersonii

Equipment:

• UVF: Nikon D850 with 105mm Micro-Nikkor lens. Light painted with Convoy S2+ UV torch. f/16 for 20sec.
  • UVR: Nikon D800 full spectrum conversion, with 105mm El-Nikkor lens and Baader-U UV-pass filter. 2 full spectrum Metz 45 CT1 flashes. f/16 at ISO-400.

From left to right: Visible, UV-induced Visible Fluorescence (UVF), Reflected UV (UVR).

post-47-0-69088700-1569596541.jpg

From left to right: Visible, UV-induced Visible Fluorescence (UVF), Reflected UV (UVR).

post-47-0-38916200-1569596578.jpg

• 1 month later...
Adrian, these are exquisite photographs. So, yes, I'm going to combine your two posts and make this into the usual formatted botanical presentation.