UltravioletPhotography

Hello From Moscow!

MoonIsHigh

Hi! My name is Dmitry. I am from Moscow, Russia. I have started making infrared photos in 2005. I had Nikon D70 and Cokin infrared filter. Later i maked infrared photon on a film, Nikon F100 and Ilford SFX-200.

Now i have a full spectrum Nikon D-70 and Sigma 10-20 lense. I have filters: ZWB-1 thickness 2mm, ZWB-2 thickness 2mm, ZWB-2 thickness 5mm, QB-21 thickness 2mm, and a glass from the USSR SZS-21(СЗС-21) thickness 5mm. I make good infrared pictures. But with UV and UV+IR i have a probems. First problem it is a blur. And the second - i get the photos like usual, not UV. And too many IR rays at thу photos.

Also i am interested at a black and white film photography with color filters, orange, green and red filters, medium format filming.

I have my website photo-scapes.net

Hi! Welcome!

Plenty of fellow Russians here, which may help for finding local versions of equipment. Your blur may possibly be caused by inadequate blocking of the IR, which might be out of focus in a UV photo due to focal shift (depending on your lens). So if you fix your IR problem, the blur may go away. To properly block IR, get a 2mm Schott S8612 filter.

Very welcome to UVP. Over time we have gathered a handful of Russian members, so do feel "at home". Whatever their nationality, our members tend to be very helpful in assisting to solve virtually any U- or IR-related probelm.
  • 1 month later...

Hello Dmitry and welcome to UVP!

We are looking forward to your contributions and also hope that you find answers to any questions you may have.

The Chinese made ZWB glass sometimes has some leakage of unwanted light because not every manufacturer uses the same quality standards. So if your UV photos seem to be washed out or look more like IR photos, then you may need to stack the Z filter with a blue-green filter which passes UV/VIs but blocks IR. If you look in our Filters Sticky, Sticky :: UV/Vis/IR Filters , you can find out more information about blue-green filters.

It was not clear to me whether the UV blur you refer to is caused by motion or whether you mean that there is a "hazy" look caused by IR contamination? UV exposures are long and require a tripod for stability in the motion blur case. The IR leakage can be mitigated by the blue-green filter as mentioned.

I should also mention that reflected UV photographs of very distant natural subjects, have a natural hazy look because the short UV rays are easily scattered by the atmosphere. You can see several examples in this topic: https://www.ultravio...les-in-uvvisir/