UltravioletPhotography

Beef jerky is transparent at 980nm

I mean, they call it "red meat" for a reason, and apparently it is also infrared meat. An accidental discovery while playing with my 980nm bandpass filter.

post-94-0-40719800-1568942879.jpg

post-94-0-80700100-1568942895.jpg

Sitting on an incandescent flashlight with two pieces of printer paper on top for a diffuser:

post-94-0-15240000-1568942912.jpg

post-94-0-35902400-1568942925.jpg

Well, we don't see topic titles like that every day!

You could also try some slices of ham or bacon?

Would these kinds of things fluoresce? Meat slices, I mean.

Andrea, the filter is at the water absorption peak, so I would have to use either another filter or dry the meat first.

No idea about fluorescence!

Colin, I don’t think I’d see through my hand, this filter was for the water absorption peak, and hands have water in them.

I think what Col ment was if you take a flashlight and hold it to your finger or hand it looks like your 3rd and 4th images.

I also think whst Andrea is saying is it would be nice to have a steak with water, next to a piece of jerky without water to see the contrast.

I understood what he meant, but you can see the visible light photo yourself. The jerky is far more transparent in IR than in visible. (Although it does have some transparency in visible.)

To do the steak experiment, I guess you'd need to take a thin piece of steak and test it before and after drying, or else it wouldn't be a fair comparison since it depends on thickness and composition. This was store-bought jerky.

I wonder if mushrooms would be similar.

You can easily dry mushrooms in the oven on a cookie sheet at 200F for around an hour.

See a before and after dehydration photo. Not sure if a steak is easily dryied.

Check the lowest setting on your oven.