UltravioletPhotography

Kolari has posted a tear down of the Panasonic S1R

dabateman

Kolari has just released their tear down of the Panasonic S1R.

https://kolarivision.com/the-panasonic-s1r-disassembly-and-teardown/

Not tested yet, but it does look like you pay for the excellent build quality.

I hope it doesn't have the IR shutter monitor problem.

I am excited by the Panasonic S1H. It's basically a million dollars. As I could no way afford it. But has most of the check boxes hit.

Contrast detect sensor, so no banding due to phase contrast pixels.

Excellent dual gain ISO.

A cooled sensor! This would be great for long exposure settings.

High resolution shot mode.

I'm also interested in some model of the S because of that contrast detect. I hope it works out to be convertible. I can't look into it until this move gets completed though.

Andrea,

Great news in the comments Patrick responded:

"It's in the works! Spoiler: Looks like no IR LED and even noise patterning at the most extremem ISO + Shutter speed combinations."

It maybe a winner.

It certainly has good image quality from what I've seen so far.

I've just been looking around trying to find out what its FFD is. It has a Leica L-mount. The same as the older L-mount I think, yes? So FFD must be 20mm? which is good for our purposes over here in UV land.

Gotta wait until there are some mount adapters to support it. But that usually does not take very long. And there might already be some for an L-mount.

I loved the Panasonic G line of cameras. So easy to use and make settings. Much more instinctively ergo than the Sony I have. So I'm hoping the S line is similarly easy to learn/use.

But yes indeedy - that S1R is a bit pricey. But currently B&H is offering $700 "instant savings" at $2997.99. That is two and 1/100 dollars under 3K and does not include a lens. Geez. I just boxed up all the cameras to either move or sell. Selling a couple looks like the right thing to do, for sure!

Funny thing about mirrorless is that they are getting heavier. That Lower weight used to be one of the advantages users liked.

Yes the FFD is 20mm for the L-mount. The first Panasonic cameras are built like tanks. I think this was on purpose. They want to convey value. The Sony do seem small and plastic. I think Panasonic want this to be a higher price premium line, keeping m43rds for lighter weight moving forward. But time will tell. Maybe all will be like a second hammer, to hit a potential thief.

The Sigma EF to L-mount adapter looks good. I was surprised that an Af Nikon F to L mount adapter exists, but is $800 at B&H. All that missing are the manual helicoid adapters. But dlsoon more should appear. I still want to see the Sigma FP camera and Foveon sensor camera. Too bad the UV/IR blocking isn't just a simple pop out filter. But the L-mount seems to have more options.

• 3 weeks later...
Honestly, that ISO25000 looks as bad as what my A7S does at ISO52000 (or thereabouts). I'm not sure it's "king." I do get some amp glow at that ISO, however, which I don't see in theirs.
Digitally resizing is not the same as having larger pixels. Or else Sony would have done the same. (They have a high res model in fact but it’s not as good for low light.)

Digitally resizing is not the same as having larger pixels. Or else Sony would have done the same. (They have a high res model in fact but it’s not as good for low light.)

I think Sony has done the same. The release of the A7Rmk3 and now A7Rmk4 are both smaller pixels, at 42 and 62 megapixels respectfully.

I think the reason for the delay in the A7Smk3 is that that line is dead.

In low light the A7Rs look better to me than the A7s. Check out:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=lowlight&attr13_0=panasonic_dcs1r&attr13_1=sony_a7riii&attr13_2=sony_a7s&attr13_3=sony_a7riv&attr15_0=jpeg&attr15_1=jpeg&attr15_2=jpeg&attr15_3=jpeg&attr16_0=51200&attr16_1=51200&attr16_2=51200&attr16_3=51200&attr126_0=1&attr126_1=1&attr126_2=1&attr126_3=1&normalization=compare&widget=674&x=-0.5188184124788701&y=0.3624540822237407

I don't think the line is dead, there was news just a few days ago about adding a fan to it, for sensor cooling. The A7R's are not better for low light.