UltravioletPhotography

Elevated park in 720nm

Some basic R72 shots from a decommissioned railway bridge, which is slowly being converted into an elevated park. All were processed in NIK silver efex.

fs-Sony a7R + Nikkor 50mm/f1.8 Ai lens + Hoya R72

post-189-0-37937200-1567538268.jpg

post-189-0-56389000-1567538288.jpg

post-189-0-42674900-1567538308.jpg

post-189-0-60627200-1567538316.jpg

post-189-0-90634900-1567538425.jpg

post-189-0-56701900-1567538438.jpg

Cool series! I like those whimsical sculptures.

Elevated parks are quite interesting for various reasons. First of all, they are fun for strolling and sightseeing. But an elevated park is also a useful idea also for adding green areas to cities. I'm referring here to the High Line in New York City, a fascinating place. It has worked out wonderfully well.

...I saw your IR pictures about the elevated park. They're wonderful and you've achieved a brilliance and contrast that I am failing to get. You mentioned you used Nik (Silver Effex, I think). Can you give more detail of which options/settings you used?

Bernard,

For bw processing, I use Sony Imaging Edge (raw editor) making sure that the highlights aren't blown, and that there's some shadow detail. The resulting exported 16-bit TIF has a fairly flat tone, with lots of detail to work with.

In NIK Silver Efex, the modules I use most are Neutral, High Structure Harsh, High Structure Smooth, or Push Process (N+1.5). I mainly use the brightness and structure sliders, along with the shadow and highlight sliders, until I get some nice contrast, while retaining highlight and shadow detail. The Push Process module adds unwanted film grain, so I make sure the 'Grain per pixel' slider is moved back to 500.

After Silver Efex, I sometimes use NIK Color Efex Pro > Pro Contrast to add more punch if needed. The Color Cast slider is not used, sometimes a bit of Correct Contrast, and mainly use the Dynamic Contrast slider along with Shadows/Highlights.

The other NIK modules I use are Glamour Glow for an ethereal look, and Viveza for spot editing. I used Viveza a lot in these 720nm shots, to darken and add some contrast to the sky and clouds.

Lately, I've also been using Topaz DeNoise AI, and amazed by how it smooths noisy skies and out-of-focus areas, while enhancing the details. Easy to go overboard with this one, so I go for minimal NR, with crisp detail in the highly focused areas.

Thanks Gary. You're certainly working hard to get your results! All I've been doing is using the histogram to make sure my shots make use of the full tonal range.

I'll have a go doing what you suggest and see what I can come up with.