UltravioletPhotography

Nikon 50mm Series E vs Coastal Optics 60mm APO (Reflected UV Photography testing for transmission and color)

Pylon

Animated GIF showing the differences of lenses when using the Baader-U filter on each of them. Camera is D7000 modded for full spectrum.

Images auto-aligned for easy comparison of color and light (not focal length).

The Coastal Optics image had a -1 EV applied in Adobe Camera RAW to match that of the previous image in order to compare the color difference. Alternatively, the ISO could have been lowered.

post-79-0-97928700-1566782867.gif

I’m baffled how you can even get a UV white balance in Adobe CR. Mine can’t do it. What version is it? Mine is back in version 6.5

ACR doesn't white balance UV good. You can make custom profiles for it, which should work good, I have not tried that,

perhaps you are using a custom camera profile for your ACR?

If you are using Nikon, then CNX2 or NX-D (or other software, like Photo Ninja) would white balance better than ACR without any custom profile.

Pylon, I think you are pretty smart about all of that stuff, so I am just saying it for the balcony.

The 18-55mm VR is not good for UV, the 35mm E is better, but quite limited for UV still, and of course the Coastal Optics is nice to have, however expensive,

and I think you might find that the comparison between a Coastal Optics color palette and a few other UV friendly lenses would be much harder to differentiate.

My favorite, Kuribayashi 35mm f/3.5. There are quite a few lenses that are like that, such as the Kyoei 35mm f/3.5 (which is really the same exact lens), and other branded versions.

The old standard was the Noflexar 35mm f/3.5, and then of course there are the enlarger lenses, but those have no built in helicoid, so there is that to contend with,

but the El-Nikkor 80mm (silver base/mount) is a good one, which is quite comparable to the Kuri/Kyoei/Noflexar types for UV transmission, other than focal length.

You probably already know all that also, but just in case the balcony people are still reading.

Really cool to see the animated Gif. Really highlights the exposure differences and color. Also helps to compare out of focus background and the way each lens renders the flower.

The coastal optics 60mm looks a little better than a stop to the 50mm.

I also like your flower image the blue really comes out.

Out of curiosity what is the typical recycling time for you Canon 199A? I have one that takes 6 seconds and another that takes 9 seconds before I can fire another shot.