UltravioletPhotography

A new UV find: Ensinor 24mm f2.8

Timber

I just visited a friend last weekend and he had some old lenses... being curious I tried one of them in UV and it turned out to be an okay performer.

Did a very quick test to compare it with the Prinz Galaxy 35, EL-Nikkor 80 and Nikon 24mm f2.8 and it seems to perform in UV almost identical to the Nikon AI-S 24mm, but sharpness seems to be lower than the Nikon (but this I will have to test more :D)

post-61-0-26573400-1566467391.jpg

and the lens itself (shot with Prinz Galaxy):

post-61-0-12710400-1566467431.jpg

You have to be careful with the back element as it is extending over the mount when the lens is set to infinity. I prefer to store the lens at set to minimum focus distance where the back element is safely inside the lens.

post-61-0-74249500-1566467515.jpg

ps.: I just saw a dirt cheap Ensinor 135mm f2.8 on eBay... if that performs the same as the 24mm I have a new favourite lens :D

Any way to determine what the construction is? 3 groups?

The brand Ensinor is new to me. Must look that one up.

Any way to determine what the construction is? 3 groups?

The brand Ensinor is new to me. Must look that one up.

unless I take it apart... But the lens is nothing to write home about :) it is sharpish in the middle but corner sharpness on full frame is acceptable only at f8... at least at close distance, where I tried... the Nikon is a much better lens and they are very similar in UV performance. Well, this Ensinor lens was £5 in a second hand shop, so no surprises here :D I looked it up on the internet and had some good reputation for sharpness so maybe just close ups are not the strength of this lens. On the weekend I will try to do some shots with it near infinity to see if it's good for landscapes. My opinion is if someone is looking for a wide angle UV lens then go for the Nikon AI-S 24mm, which is more costly but you get much better results with it, but if you run into one of these for a good price ($10 tops) then it might worth the investment (if you don't already have the Nikon :D )