UltravioletPhotography

Spotted for sale - Coastal Optics 105mm UV lens

Just seen this for sale - https://www.bmisurplus.com/products/57942-coastal-optical-105mm-f-4-uv-micro-apo-lens

This is the Coastal Optics 105mm UV lens. While the ad doesn't say it, assuming it hasn't been modified, this is a Nikon fit mount and suitable for full frame sensors.

It looks to be the later version of mine (which is the light blue and silver). Might be worth someone making an offer. If possible check with them about the fit to a Nikon camera. My Coastal Optics 105mm had a sloppy mount, although mine was an earlier version.

And it's actually f4.5 not f4 (despite what it says on the front).....

I have no affiliation with the seller.

Yep was going to say the same.

They do have the UKA 25mm f2.8 c-mount lens for $475. Thats the cheapest I have ever seen that quartz lens.

Out of curiosity what was the list price for the 105mm?

The eBay link smells foul -- one stands a very real chance of being ripped off. Why would a seller of solenoids, and with very little feeedback, be in a situation to offer a UV-Nikkor for sale?

ebay has money back guarantee on anything, great for buyers IMHO.

https://industrialcamerasales.com/product/105mm-uv-quartz-c-mount-lens/?v=7516fd43adaa

has this $1900 105mm uv lens been reviewed? never mind I see it here: https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2762-opinions-on-the-uka-optics-quartz-lenses/page__hl__78mm__fromsearch__1

not an apo lens.

ebay has money back guarantee on anything, great for buyers IMHO.

---

People still get scammed and lose money. Had one or two of those experiences myself.

Unless you don't return the bad merchandise and always pay with credit card, I have never ever had ebay not rule in my favor as a buyer. Sorry really disagree, it is very very hard to get ripped off as a buyer IMHO. I would guess most buyers that get ripped off either:

A. buy out side of ebay, and

B. don't use a credit card, or

C. don't return items quickly.

After 10 days ebay rules in the seller's favor if item not sent. USA rules, other countries might be different.

Wish I could say the same about being a seller. I think more sellers get ripped off than buyers.

OK, it was me. I admit it!!! I bought that CO 105/4.5. :lol: :cool: :rolleyes:

When you see a lens like that offered for under 2K, you leap like a bunny and grab it quick, quick, quick.

The lens has now arrived and tested out just fine. As a used lens, it has some wear (scratches) but the glass is fine. I use my dedicated UV lenses, so a few scratches actually makes me a bit more comfortable about handling it. The barrel has a painted stock number on it which is kind of tacky. But this is not the first time I've gotten an old "scientific surplus" lens with a stock number painted/scratched/engraved. I think the lens probably needs a lube job. No problem, old lenses often need that. So I'll either do this myself or send it off to KEH.

As a macro lens, the CO 105/4.5 is an "extender", no internal focus. (Not sure how to word that.) It has the longest throw of any lens I own, so you can really be precise with the focus. That is interesting to me not ever having experiened quite that much throw.

Like its sister CO60, the CO105 seems sharp as a little tack. I'll try to get some photos up soon.

Digression: Yesterday I started to upload a CO105 photo to show you, but when posted on the forum it seemed to become softer looking than when I was viewing it in Photo Mechanic or in Preview. That sent me off onto an entire afternoon's chase through the forum software looking for some setting to fix. Of course I could not find such a setting. So I'm not sure what causes this softening that I think I perceive. Maybe it is the browser? Whatever it is, it is annoying me. How can I show you how sharp a lens really is if something is causing the posted photo to look softer than when viewed in an app? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Digression: Yesterday I started to upload a CO105 photo to show you, but when posted on the forum it seemed to become softer looking than when I was viewing it in Photo Mechanic or in Preview. That sent me off onto an entire afternoon's chase through the forum software looking for some setting to fix. Of course I could not find such a setting. So I'm not sure what causes this softening that I think I perceive. Maybe it is the browser? Whatever it is, it is annoying me. How can I show you how sharp a lens really is if something is causing the posted photo to look softer than when viewed in an app? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Yeah, possibly the forum is resizing the photo for some reason. Interpolation/antialiasing would then make it look softer. Try saving the photo to a smaller size and upload to see if the "softening" effect still occurs.

Andrea,

I had the same issue with posting photos in my "You will hate using a 135 format camera for UV thread" Aka, the Resolve and UAT on DF. I ended up viewing the photo at 100% and croping to 800 pixels wide. Not sure if a browser thing.

I do hate the recent chrome update. They keep making it worst.