UltravioletPhotography

ISO Any mirrorless lens adapter wtih drop in filter holders? aps sensors

Mark Jones

I think both Nikon & Canon's full frame mirrorless cameras have adapters that let you use DSLR lenses on them and support drop in filter holders more common on super telephoto lenses.

I am looking for something similar for APS sized mirrorless cameras, prefer canon EOSM or sony E mount.

it would be nice to drop in a UV filter, IR filter, visible, etc, instead of having to screw around. Plus smaller filters are cheaper and indepdnent of filter thread size on front.

this kick starter is the only thing I have found.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aurora-aperture/drop-in-filters-for-mirrorless-cameras

dont' like the rectangle filter size, would prefer 39mm round filters.

You can use mount adapters to do it. Get a slim E-mount to m42, then m42to m52, add your 52mm filter, then m52 to m42 and small m42 helicoid.

I have this for micro four thirds, but typically just screw in at the front.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=DEO-tech&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

this looks better, company lauched 4 years ago. facebook webpage is basically empty, but priced reasonably and extra filter holders are only $20

58mm and 48mm drop in sizes. I think 58mm would be more usefull. looks like very low demand, I better buy before they go out of business, lol.

If I buy it will post a review.

Hm. That's an interesting solution. I think it will limit your flexibility a bit, like what will you do with the 25mm filters or other odd sizes that we often have to deal with? But I guess you could do those on a case-by-case basis. 58mm filters are not often available in UV, I would say, except perhaps with absorption glass filters. It will get costly very fast.
step down filter ring, will protrude a few mm, then mount the smaller filters backwards, overall thickness about the same as regular filter. whole point of the system is to keep the filters in the holders. so hacking an adapter to fit a certain filter only needs to be done once.

Mark,

Your link posted to a $100 product. Which is a good idea. But you need to think about what you are doing. I saw 3 things, a nikon lens to M43rds mount, a canon lens to M43rds mount and a canon lens to sony E-mount adapter. All with drop in filters in 52mm size. Then extra 48mm and 58mm drop in rings. This is good, but its a fixed mount distance, which is bad. You need to think what you are doing.

When you add 2mm of glass behind a lens, you have changed the optical path of the light. The lens will now not focus to infinity because you have optically moved it closer to the sensor. So infinity on the lens is way past infinity. Some lenses will not have enough focus throw to move them into focus. This product should have a helicoid to allow you to adjust the focus point.

It may work, depending on the thickness limit of the glass, and may be preadjusted to a specific glass thickness. But I didn't see that mentioned.

Also I see this thing having a light leak issue. You may need to have a towel ready or tape it down, which defeats the rapid change ability.

Best is to have an adjustable helicoid behind your lens so you can correct for your filter glass thickness. The Raf camera 52mm to 25mm adapter has 52mm male on one side and 52mm female on the other with 25mm filters being able to screw in the middle. This allows you to place this between the M42 to M52 adapters and then add a helicoid to work to correct the thickness.

That I would say is the best way to go with slim M42 mount adapters. If you want the filter behind your lens. That of course will limit you to M42 (45.5mm back focus distance and larger) lenses. You can use a Nikon lens to M42 adapter or T-mount to M42 adapter or Adaptall adapter or medium format lens adapter, ete.

the sony e mount to canon eos mount is the thinnest adapter 18 to 44 flange so I will probabaly get that one. if infinity focus is an issue, I could take out the canon eos mount and put a nikon one on to shorten the optical distance a couple mm (might not be enough?). But probabaly wont need infinity anyways. Obviously for enlarger lenses thsi wont 'work, only dslrs lenses

will probabaly end up with adapters for both dslr and "short flange distance" lenses. thanks for advice and RAF link did not know about that manufacturer/brand.

I am amazed how many adapters are out there now, very good for UV work since adapting lenses is crucial.

getting a combination helicoid and a drop in filter holder would be hard to make. The filter holder could not go into the moving helical so basically might as well just combine a helical with drop in filter solution.

My feeling is very much of the "let someone else try it and tell me the pros and cons" on this one. Same with those magnetic filter change thingies, which some people have mentioned are pretty decent.

the sony e mount to canon eos mount is the thinnest adapter 18 to 44 flange so I will probabaly get that one. if infinity focus is an issue, I could take out the canon eos mount and put a nikon one on to shorten the optical distance a couple mm (might not be enough?). But probabaly wont need infinity anyways.

Wrong way. After you add glass the 5 foot or 10 foot mark on your lens becomes infinity. You would need to add a spacer depending on the thickness of the added glass.

An alternative, is my C-mount slim M42 mount adapter. Fits either to a M43rds camera, will thread or cross thread my 25mm filters in the C-mount part. So can add a M42 helicoid to that. Interesting, I may need to play with this.

C-mount is 25.4mm by 1/32 inch. My 25mm filters are 0.75. So I guess 0.79 is close enough to 0.75, for this to work.

If you go the 25mm filter way, tbat can also be an alternative. But is still not a drop in filter. You will need to unmount the lens for each filter change.

I have made my own :)

First: you need a helicoid, as the glass filter will modify the optical formula of the lens and you will need to increase the flange distance.

Second: I am using A7II / A7III so I need one that's wide enough for Full Frame.

Winner: ULATA Lens Mount Adapter Macro Focusing Tube Helicoid Canon EOS to Sony E

This one is wide enough to accept 43mm filters. How I did it:

Got a 46mm to 43mm step down ring and glued it in the adapter first. This way I can screw in a 43mm filter (actually a stack of 2). But it's a little complicated to screw the filter...

So I glued in a magnet ring in the adapter and an other at the bottom of the step down ring so now I just drop in the filter. :) ND1000 on Fisheye <3

Timber,

To be clear, you add the filter to the helicoid adapter and then mount it to the camera and lens. All sealed. You didn't cut a hole in the side of the helicoid to rotate/flip out the filter assembly correct?

I know I have gone off topic with back mount filter options. But I think Mark wants a flip out filter adapter. That will be tricky to engineer. But I don't think its impossible. E-mount gives you the most space, just grips and pentaprism like things on the camera get in the way of my mental designs. Have the helicoid closest to the camera mount then 5mm flip front metal plate rotate out. Using 44mm -18mm gives you 26mm to play with.

So slim Emount to M42 adapter (1mm) ranbow imaging. For M43rds smallest is 5mm.

Then 12-17mm helicoid.

7mm M42 tube, to cut slot for flipping filters.

EOS to M42 adapter seems to be 15mm, from what I see on the bay. My Nikon mount to M42 adapter is about 5mm. So maybe limited. Not sure if full canon lens adds to the 15mm, as lens probably sits deep into that. But adapters to that EF mount wouldn't. So may just want to keep the end M42, with longer tube.

yeah, this one is sealed :) which means no light leaks. It's a little complicated to change filters, but this way I can have IR fisheye selfies! <3