UltravioletPhotography

Article: Digital cameras vulnerable to ransomware via wifi

SteveE

The link itself leads directly into an unacceptable request of giving away one's privacy. Turn wi-fi off on any camera instead.
The link itself leads directly into an unacceptable request of giving away one's privacy

Could you please amplify that?

I certainly don't want to be promoting any such thing,

and I would like to learn how to better identify this unacceptable request

Basically you land in a morass of pages overwhelming you with information, apparently in compliance with GDPR. However, you can neither set own options nor get past this obstacle without accepting their cookie setting strategy. I find this practice, too frequently seen on (dare I say) non-European web sites, unacceptable. Private window browsing is not a solution.

I always bail out quickly from those sites.

Not sure I understood all that. I didn't get any cookie strategy request at all.

But the link was interesting. Maybe if at home on a protected wi-fi, then it is OK to offload photos from camera via wi-fi?

This is mainly a Canon problem and may be the death of the CHDK hack firmware. Its much harder to compromise other cameras and their firmware is better encrypted.

However, the SDKs are out for some, so may be a matter of time. If you want to be safe turn off wifi and Bluetooth unless needed.