UltravioletPhotography

EOS RP for UV photography, Anyone have results?

Mark Jones

Thanks! good to know it works. I'm cheap. for $300 I can buy an EOS M3 mirrorless camera :) or two used rebel dslr's, but mirror less is better for lens compatibility. Full Frame is nice but not needed for what I want to do right now.

The Canon RP is full-frame, isn't it? I've been reading that the RP lenses are excellent. Of course, that is for visible work. :grin:

For a really inexpensive mirrorless non-full-frame conversion I'd go with one of the Panasonic Lumix Gs or a Sony NEX. Both proven for reflected UV work.

Andrea,

I am not sure I would recommend either of those. The Panasonic are known to have IR shutter monitor problem. The Sony as well. The A6000 maybe the only exception.

I would recommend the Olympus cameras. They don't have IR shutter monitor problem. I don't know enough about Fuji or the Canon M-mounts. Some of the Nikons DSLR are known to be good, but have White balance problem. Canon DSLR you would have to ask the other forum members here.

A super cheap interesting new camera maybe the YIM1. Currently about $150 for single lens kit or $200 for both lenses. But I know its simple design that puts some people off. Not sure how hard it would be to convert. Its M43rds format.

Andy Perrin

Andrea,

I am not sure I would recommend either of those. The Panasonic are known to have IR shutter monitor problem. The Sony as well. The A6000 maybe the only exception.

Only a few models of Sony have IR shutter problems. I am using an A7S (no problems!) and my previous camera was a NEX-7 (no problems). Timber was using a NEX-6 successfully, if I remember right. As for the Panasonics, I believe Andrea actually owns one, so she would probably know firsthand? You can't rule out whole brands like that, it's very model dependent.

Only a few models of Sony have IR shutter problems. I am using an A7S (no problems!) and my previous camera was a NEX-7 (no problems). Timber was using a NEX-6 successfully, if I remember right. As for the Panasonics, I believe Andrea actually owns one, so she would probably know firsthand? You can't rule out whole brands like that, it's very model dependent.

Yes true. I should have said newer models have issues. Although that being said, the Panasonic G9 may not have the IR shutter monitor problem. And the S1, S1r are unknown.

As far as I know, all Sony cameras newer than the A7S have the IR shutter monitor problem. Just look at the release order to see what would be ok.

Andy Perrin
Plus there is the possibility of replacing the LED with a SWIR one, if you can find a shop that will do it for you. I wonder if it's just too much trouble for them to offer it standard.