UltravioletPhotography

First UV B photo

Andy Perrin

Look, a UV B!

(This is with the Resolve KSS100b 60mm quartz macro lens and 330WB80 filter.)

post-94-0-10932300-1564785840.jpg

(I'll try to take a real UV-B photo sometime, but I need lights and some kind of safety apparatus.)

I think what he means is, does it have the same transmission profile...

First of all, U-330 is not a UV only range filter, it is UV+Blue+Green, so even if it didn't have Red/IR transmission, U-330 would not have the same transmission.

So, instead of comparing 330WB80 to U-330, lets compare it to U-340, but even then U-340 doesn't suppress the 700nm+/- range transmission, so in order to suppress the Red/IR range of the U-340 you would need to stack it with BG glass,

preferably S8612, well unless the U-340 was very thick, like 6mm or 7mm,

and if you stack it for suppression, then you will loose the lower UV-B transmission reach of the U-340.

Unless, like I said, you use thick U-340, then it retains the UV-B reach, and it even has more UV-B reach than the 330WB80, and it also has more upper reach.

Example using U-340 5mm thick:

post-87-0-79121700-1564810474.jpg

Andy,

I was going to say your filter is letting in mostly UVA. But then realized you meant a UV bee. Good one. I like to see insects in UV, but rarely go outside these days. Need to try and see some bees before they go extinct.

The wings have a nice maze like pattern.

Also,

You may want to order a cheap UVc light. I know super dangerous. You will need glasses, gloves and long sleeves. But you now have an amazing filter. I ordered a cheap 4W UVc light for rocks. Even included some. I will let you know how it works. With our filter, its the first time I have had too much light. My 15W 254nm light seems to be too strong. I need to position it away to avoid blowing the imager and reduce hot spots. I also ordered the black 2.0. But will not come til Sept. So need to wait. I may test other blacks in the mean time.

I am also referring to the lens as the KSS. Its actual name is KSS100b 60mm UV Macro lens. The specifications for the Resolve 60mm Macro are slightly different. So may not be fair to call it that. Jonathan may own the true Resove 60mm, in December it would be great to see how this compares, if he has both.

Andy, love the picture. Reminds me of an old toned photo.

David, interesting what you say about the lens. It looked very similar to the Resolve one to me, especially with that sliding filter arrangement. I'd be very surprised if Krimesite are making their own lenses. I'm looking forward to getting hands on with mine, later in the year, to have a proper look at it.

Did you buy the Krimesite or the Resolve, Jonathan?

I bought one of the Krimesite systems from that ebay advert Andy. I believe the lens is marked up as KSS100b, but I haven't got it in front of me. However as mentioned the lens looks very like the Resolve one to me, and I'm struggling to believe that Krimesite make their own lenses. My guess would be they bought them as a special from Resolve for their systems, but I cannot prove that.

Andy Perrin
It does seem odd. I suppose since Sirchie is a big company they could negotiate simple modifications to the Resolve? But it does seem more likely that it's the same lens.

Ok much closer in specifications than I thought. Just measured my lens:

Resolve. KSS100B

C-mount spacer. 4mm. 4mm

Rear Dia. 54.8mm. 54mm

Length at infinity 87.7mm. 88mm

Max length. 141.2mm. 145mm

Max diameter. 61mm. 60.5mm

Front diameter. 38mm. 40mm

Front filter. 30.5x0.5. 37x0.75

AFOV. 16.6 degrees. ?

Min focus distance. 23cm. 23cm

Calc. Focal length. 67mm. ?

Reported focal length 60mm. 60mm

I measured my c-mount to M42 adapter adds 7.5mm extension. Thus my calculated 75mm focal length makes sense on M43rds camera. So the only out of range modification seems to be the front filter thread. Basically its the same lens. Both have 4 quartz elements.

The Sirchie also includes 4W battery powered 254nm portable lights. And I can see why. My 15W easily caused the hot spot problem. I can't wait until my 4W portable light comes to compare.