UltravioletPhotography

Using LUT for False Colour IR photos

Timber

I've been using the good ol' Channel Swap for IR photos but then I found I had to play a LOT with HSL after to get the right colours and none of the photo editing softwares I used is good enough for easy colour grading so I've decided to give a try and create Colour Look Up Table (LUT) with DaVinci Resolve and then instead of doing the channel swap I just use LUTs and then only need to fine tune with HSL.

I can proudly say the results were better than what I expected :) I tried various photos (from past and few test photos shot today) and the LUT almost always works for me. I am really happy :) So here are the LUT files I've created, I hope you guys will find it useful too.

Samples (left side with LUT, right side without LUT):

550nm Orange Filter - Blue Sky, Crimson Foliage, Blue skin tones

post-61-0-30540300-1564659378.jpg

600nm Red Filter - Blue Sky, Golden Foliage

post-61-0-34999200-1564659385.jpg

720nm IR Filter - Blue Sky, White Foliage

post-61-0-91148000-1564659393.jpg

Poor man's IR Chrome (Hoya 80A + Lee #729) - Blue Sky, Crimson Foliage, Red skin tones

post-61-0-94643100-1564660113.jpg

And finally the LUT Pack itself:

IR_LUT_PACK.zip

If you could post a few samples of how does these LUTs working for you that would help me a lot to see if the results are more or less constant or I just got lucky. :)

I also don't have the IR-Chrome filter from Kolari, or have KG3 to create the perfect IR-Chrome filter (I think Steve / Cadmium calls it Hrommagicus) so I'm really curious how these LUTs working with those filters ;)

ps.: and the +1 advantage? You can use it on VIDEO too :) YAY!

ps2.: If you do a RGB->BRG swap with 550nm files then use the IR-Chrome LUT then you will get nice pink foliage :)

post-61-0-15240500-1564670539.jpg

THANK YOU!

Let me know how it worked for you. I only tried with Sony RAW-s and a few SOOC images others posted here... so far worked all the time :)

Timber, how do you use the LUT with a Sony camera and RAW? I don't even see a menu option for it.

Depends on the app you use to Post Process... I use Affinity Photo and Luminar, both can use LUTs. Adobe PS and I think LR can do LUTs too, but not sure as I refuse to use Adobe products :)

Oh! I thought they were in-camera LUTs.

Now, that would be freaking awesome :D But I don't think any camera on the market has this feature :)

Now, that would be freaking awesome :D But I don't think any camera on the market has this feature :)

Other than Panasonic :) I am keep amazed how much feature Panasonic is adding to their cameras (they are the only one offering Shutter Angle!)
Andy Perrin
Hm. My A7S kind of does? It has seven preset “picture profiles” which are basically LUTs by a different name. I don’t know if custom ones can be added but there might be a way. That’s what I figured you were doing.

Hm. My A7S kind of does? It has seven preset “picture profiles” which are basically LUTs by a different name. I don’t know if custom ones can be added but there might be a way. That’s what I figured you were doing.

They are a bit more than just LUTs, and I am quite sure they are hardwired in the firmware... but I will look into it :)
This sounds similar to using dcptool for the older versions of Photoshop up to CS6 (which may be of use to some of us old diehards). Using dcptool to build a custom camera profile, the colour matrices can be reversed so that it is not necessary to do the channel swap manually. One advantage is that using this custom profile, a channel swap can be performed (automatically) in LR without ever going to Photoshop (if so desired). The later versions of Photoshop and LR can utilize custom LUTs directly.

Andy if you have Affinity photo it looks like these are realatively easy to make. I have had that software for a year now. But still haven't learned it well.

I need to play with these that Timber made. Still haven't gotten to it yet.

My PC has been buggy lately.