UltravioletPhotography

Weird camera problem with live view

Andy Perrin

Andy Perrin
Ever since I got it, my A7S's proximity sensor has been hair-trigger sensitive, so even if I wave my hand too close to the EVF (6 inches/15 cm is enough), it turns off the live view. As you can imagine, this can make it very hard to take pictures using the live view because the screen keeps going black. About half the time the camera strap sets it off, but I also do it with my hands, and sometimes randomly in bright sunshine it triggers (inconvenient for UV photos!). Does anyone know of a modification that would make it less sensitive? Or is there a setting somewhere?

Andy,

I think its custom settings, finder/monitor as on page 38 of GB manual. You can switch off auto switching and use Disp button to turn on and off. I hope.

I always switch off auto switching as it never knows when I want it on any of my cameras with evfs.

Andy Perrin
Disp doesn't seem to work, but I think I may have found the finder/monitor setting that turns of the EVF altogether. I hardly ever use it, so I guess it's no big deal to hunt through the stupid menu system. Thanks.
Andy Perrin
I don’t think it’s lifepixel — seemed to be doing it pre-conversion. But I was giddy with new camera excitement and shrugged. It has gotten more irritating with time for me.

My Nikon Z7 and my Sony A7R both do the same thing. You can merely breathe on them and they will flick off Live View.

Mirrorless has its little irritations.

There are either settings or buttons to deal with it. Forget which has what. Seems though, that however I set it, the next time out I want it set the other way. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Added: There is also a way to tape over part of the prox sensor, but I don't seem to have a link. And I don't remember where you do the taping. In the viewfinder or across a button or inside the camera or what? Maybe someone will know. I remember this from about 3-4 years ago when I first got my Sony.