UltravioletPhotography

sunscreenr.com $80 uv camera anyone use it?

Mark Jones

Well we are one step closer to not having to buy those $7000 UV-Nikkors !!! :rolleyes:

The easy part is the UV-pass filter and the simple lens, but I wonder where they found a UV-sensitive sensor for the little device?

Andy Perrin
Hah, they don't say what wavelengths are being imaged, there's no false color, and probably the resolution isn't that hot. You know the Raspberry Pi hack that we had a thread on a few days ago? That would do it for something like this. But there is definitely an attractive quality to having a UV point-and-shoot!

the shark tank episode they were on , I think said it was $45 to make them when they had the integrated viewfinder screen, probabaly cheaper now that they are using the smartphone screen.

all they needed to do was find a cheap mono webcamera who's hot filter was easily removed with a simple lens that transmits uva,

I can't find any info on thier kickstarter though besides the one comment that they got ripped off and the one youtube video review which looks suspiciously planted.

enricosavazzi

It does look like a rather ordinary converted webcam. Image quality of the samples on the website is wildly varying, so possibly shot with different cameras. UV focus shift is evident in some samples.

A few years ago I started a thread about a converted GoPro action camera and a few movie/video legacy lenses. It provided the same or better image quality than some of these samples, but still limited to wavelengths around 380 nm:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1357-gopro-hero-4-for-uv-photographyvideo