Andy Perrin

Andy Perrin

Ok, this one is for Mark Jones.

Selfie with half-sunscreen.

Camera: converted Sony A7S

Settings: F8, ISO8000, 1/50"

Lens: Novoflex Noflexar 35/3.5

Filters: UG11 2mm + S8612 1.5mm

This is the picture converted from RAW but with no processing at all besides resizing:

post-94-0-20255100-1563730000.jpg

This is the picture with denoising with Neat Image plugin, curves, highlight reduction, and a final autocontrast in Photoshop:

post-94-0-01148300-1563730083.jpg

Here are 1:1 crops.

First the no processing image:

post-94-0-86487800-1563730111.jpg

After processing:

post-94-0-62982700-1563730131.jpg

wow that looks really good! Probably due to photogenic model? LOL. Thanks so much! cannot believe that is a stock camera without being modified. time to look for one on ebay, lol.
Andy Perrin
No, that is a modified camera of course! But not a MONOCHROME camera. Sorry, almost every camera on this board has been converted by removal of the blocking filter so I didn’t bother to note it.
Andy Perrin

Anyway, the point here is that an ordinary converted camera with good high ISO capability (crucial!) and a decent lens and filter combo is all you need for handheld shots in sunshine. (Definitely it helps that it's northern hemisphere July at a temperate latitude.)

A debayered sensor or Leica monochrom will give even better sensitivity, but they are not needed to shoot handheld.

Excellent in body image stabilization can also allow for excellent hand held images of still objects in UV.

The Olympus Em1 was great non modified (stock) that it took me a while to convert it. The stock Em5mk2 is also ok.

You just need a more blue UV filter, like a U360 stack, a 390bp25 filter or a Straight edge U filter.

Andy Perrin
Yeah, but I’m assuming he wouldn’t want the compromises of a more blue UV filter. (I certainly would not buy one!) I guess I don’t understand why anyone would not just send out for conversion. If you are going to do UV, best make your peace with the prices. I started with the NEX-7 to keep the body price moderate and bought it already converted.

Well the Em1 with Panasonic sensor may be good then.

Here is a similar test with stock Em1 by GaryR that I found:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2805-olympus-m1-uvf-wb-settings/page__p__21852__hl__em1__fromsearch__1#entry21852

I can't seem to quickly find his hand held shots using stock Em1. I offer this as mine has been converted and as a second source.

Pedro also has stock Em1 and modified Em1. He compared them and reported here:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2699-m43rds-user-question-about-sensitivity/page__st__20

Enrico also has Em1.

All said there are 3 main problems with the Em1mk1:

The camera strap connection lugs can fall out of the camera.

The dials can stop responding, this happened to me but Kolari fixed it under the post conversion warranty.

The EVF can get burn in if exposed to the sun at some odd angle.

So if you get one used see if any has occurred and or if fixed.

I don’t understand why anyone would not just send out for conversion
because I like tinkering and fixing stuff plus I find it annoying that no one has really shown how to chemically remove the bayer layer, even though we know it is being done and the technique to do that is behind held as corporate secret.

max max is selling a cheap usb camera. might buy this for $170

https://maxmax.com/shopper/product/15903-xniteusb2s-uv-usb-2-0-megapixel-hd-monochrome-camera-uv-only

Andy Perrin
Again, conversion is removing the blocking filter, NOT the Bayer here. I guess there are different conversions that can be done, but in the context of the conversation.
  • 1 year later...