UltravioletPhotography

Anyone interested in the new Sigma FP camera?

dabateman

I actually really like this little new camera from Sigma, clearly going to be mainly a video camera.

However, I wonder if it would be an excellent UV camera.

1. Its BSI sensor, so should be more sensitive to UV than a typical sensor with metal circuity in the front.

2. Odd for Sigma, its not a Foveon sensor, but rather standard bayer at 24 Mpixel. So should be sensitive below 350nm.

3. No mechanical shutter, so no issues with any IR shutter monitor, as it doesn't have one.

4. Only contrast detect AF, so no issues with on sensor PDAF pixels causing banding in low UV light levels. Like with the Z6.

5. Has cooling system and metal body, so may be able to improve sensor cooling externally, for long dark imaging.

6. Big question is it a Panasonic (Tower Jazz) sensor? If so may not have anti-reflective coating on the sensor coverglass. Sony has being improving and changing that with Olympus cameras. But Panasonic sensor coverglass typically doesn't have an AR coating. With the L-mount alliance it may not be a Sony sensor. Jonathan found that Canon sensors have UVb blocking coatings on the sensor coverglass.

Major negative is that it looks like a uv/ir stack will be on the sensor and not easily removable like other Sigmas. So will not easy to rent and test. I would have liked the typical dust blocker Sigma uses, but the L-mount may not be deep enough to support that.

So may be interesting to play with. Anyone else interested in this really small 135 format camera?

Sounds interesting but L-Mount is just not there yet... AF is useless for serious photographers, the Panasonic cameras and the lenses are too big and expensive for hobbyist... This camera could be the first step towards mass-market L-Mount options... but I think this system will have hard time to compete with the CaNikOny trio...

We will have to see how all the coming Sigma lenses play out. But yes very expensive. The new 35mm f1.2 is $1500.

Although, all my good UV lenses are manual, except the Sigma 30mm f2.8. So maybe a good AF Sigma for UV down the road.

I also think the DFD AF problem is blown way out. I have not had any issues with AF in Panasonic M43rds cameras. But I am not shooting sports.

Reliable AF is important if you also shooting as a profession. At the moment I don't feel that any of the L-Mount bodies are capable of that. But hey, the first generation of Sony A7 cameras were not able to do that either. Second generation started to reach the necessary level and third generation just sets the bar for MILC and diminished the the gap between DSLR and MILC. And then came the revolutionary A9... :D

Well based on the full read out times of the sensor it looks like it will most likely be the same one in the A73 and Z6.

Sigma says 1/30 read out in 12bit raw and 1/15 full read out in 14bit raw.

This matches exactly with the sensor read outs people have calculated for the Nikon Z6 and Sony A7III.

I don't know the read out of the Panasonic S1, but its being reported to "look" similar, according to DXO.

So only the Panasonic S1R may be using a Panasonic sensor.

I emailed my contact at Sigma on the day it was announced, and he confirmed that the dust protector/hot mirror filter is not user-removable.

Adrian

Adrian,

Can you email your Sigma contact to see what the UV/IR block might be?

I have been looking at sensor images and it seems very red, comparied to most sensors which have a blue tint to them. I am hoping it doesn't block UV and only IR.

• 1 year later...

I emailed my contact at Sigma on the day it was announced, and he confirmed that the dust protector/hot mirror filter is not user-removable.

Adrian

Adrian, Can your Sigma contact advise whether any of the fp cameras have been converted to 'full spectrum' & how they might preform Please ?