UltravioletPhotography

Poor man's Aerochrome filter :)

I just bought a big sheet of Lee #729 for a tenner, which is a gel sheet (like a transparent plastic sheet, you can roll it and cut it with a scissor) and as it needs a "host" filter I thought to use two cheap UV filters to sandwich it (or laminate) but then I read that I need a Schott KG3 to surpress the IR a bit more to have the nice crimson reds. Now that filter is way out of my budget... especially that I don't see any other use of that filter than this (for me). So I was trying to see if there is a filter that keeps the blue but suppresses the IR a bit. Hoya 80C seemed okay, and there was one dirt cheap on eBay, so quickly bought it... and I am happy to say it works (at least for me)! Right now I just put the gel filter in front of the Hoya glass (took the filter apart, cut the same circle, put it together) but I am planning to add a UV filter in front to protect it (as it is now very vulnerable to scratches)

So today I took it for a quick walk while doing the shopping... here is a sample (no channel swap, just a bit HSL tuning and basic editing)

Sony A7II + Nikon AI-S 24mm f2.8 @ f8 + Hoya 80C/Lee #729 Scuba Blue

dsc00655.jpg

The Nikon AI-S 24mm has significant focus shift in UV - VIS - IR.

Great idea. I will have to test with my Tiffen 80A. Doesn't let in as much at 500nm, but also weaker in the IR leakage.

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea. I will have to test with my Tiffen 80A. Doesn't let in as much at 500nm, but also weaker in the IR leakage.

Since then I've tried 80A and 80B too.... 80A is not useable, 80B is perfect :)