UltravioletPhotography

Wrong dandelion.

Some time ago I found one dandelion, that looked unusual.

Then I looked, if similar photos about such case - there is a version that this happens with a plant "if pollination occurs inside a closed flower(?)".

So maybe one like this, or something another.

I don't know what's wrong with him.

I just took a few photos to see how it all looks in UV.

(In the photo, except for a dandelion: also in the frame caught celandine, and yet some plant.)

1 - This photo of visible luminescence. Used MTE 301 light - to induce.

The MTE 301 is filtered (with the Hoya 340 UV-pass filter), to cut off the 'blue edge' of the light.

Otherwise, the 'blue edge' of the MTE will fall into the sought-for zone of visible luminescence.

On the lens: ЖС4_3mm - (Almost analog GG420, UV-block) + S8612 1,5 mm (IR-block).

Here I have to cut off the UV, and IR, and take photo only the luminescence in visible.

2 - Left photo: visible light, Sun. Right photo: UV light, Sun. For photo UV only:

Used 360 Hoya_2mm + S8612_2 mm, UV-pass filter stack, on the lens. This stack to cut off the visible and infrared part.

post-242-0-67892100-1561805775.jpg

post-242-0-83574100-1561805794.jpg

This is a good set. And a very interesting find for all of us who enjoy botany. :)

It certainly appears as thought there is some anomoly with these dandelion rays because they have not opened up into the typical flat presentation. (We will have to ask Birna about this. I'll PM her.) I have seen this "quilling" phenomenon in some of my garden Rudbeckia, but I don't know the cause. It could be a recessive genetic trait? Or, as you have suggested, perhaps some pollination anomaly. Nice find!

Small reminder: For general readers and viewers who do not know about UV/IR photography, I think it is nice to add a designation of what a particular filter does. For example, Hoya 340 UV-pass filter. 360Hoya+S8612 UV-pass filter stack. ЖС4 IR-blocker. I do realize that we don't always have the time to write all the details when we post! But maybe later, when you have a moment later, you can do this.

Growth anomalies occur throughout the plant kingdom. Sometimes the response is caused by mutations, sometimes by bacterial or fungal infections. If the reproductive parts are affected, chances are there is no offspring. Thus not a mechanism to cause any evolutionary drive.