UltravioletPhotography

equipement rental

autorhino

Hi i am planning a model test photoshoot and want to uses UV light ..

I am a commercial photographer so i have access to lot of gear for traditional photographie .. visible light

From reading from you guys ... i realize i dont have any Camera, lens or even filter that are meant for uv

Since i am doing this more as am experiment i dont want to spend to much on this ...

So i am looking for a place that rents these equipements Lens, filter, camera ... preferably in Canada or if i can't find in canada... i would try to make it work with an USA rental compagnie...but that's not gonna be easy ..

Thanks

Alain

Only rental camera I know that is capable of UV is the Sigma SDQ from Lensrentals. They are located in the USA but will ship to Canada. The Sigma take 2 seconds to make UV capable by removing the dust filter inside the camera. Only downside is that its monochrome UV only using the Blue channel. But sensitivity in UVA is really strong. Also can be used for IR.

But Lensrentals also rents IR capable cameras converted from Nikon, Canon and Sony. Just not Full spectrum converted cameras.

What system do you currently use?

If its an Olympus Em1 or Em5mk2 and you have a Sigma 30mm f2.8 Art lens, you would just need a good filter.

I forgot to mention that Lensrentals also rents the amazing Costal optics 60mm Macro UV lens. But its only available in Nikon F mount and will not work on the Sigma. Which is sad. The 30mm f1.4 lens that comes with the SDq rental is not good for UV. I tested it.

I don't know of any place where you can rent UV filters.

Thanks Bateman for all that info ...

I use phaseone P digital back monted on a haselblad H body

I have a fuji gx680 with a lot of lens .. same digital back

And a canon 1dx with recent canon lens ..

I will test to see if any of this gear react to uv tomorrow ...( rented some mercury vapor blacklight ) trying to stay in the safe wavelength

I have one question ... using just a good UV pass filter and daylight is it possible to shoot the fluorescence of color ?... or this is only possible if you uses uv/blacklight lighting?

Andy Perrin
To shoot fluorescence, you need to BLOCK UV, since the fluorescence you are interested in is ordinary visible light. It needs to be done in the dark, so no daylight, which means some kind of artificial UV light, yes.

Autorhino, with regards to safety, what are the details on the lamp you have rented? If this is a continuous light source, which I suspect it is, then the dose of UV could still be high. Just because it's longer wavelength UV doesn't make it safe. Are you and your model using UV safety glasses?? Eyes are especially sensitive to UV damage.

Also as Andy says, for fluorescence, you need to be in the dark, and block the UV from entering the lens. Again depending on the UV source, you will likely have some visible light being produced as well which you will capture as part of the image, if you don't have a suitable blocking filter on the lens.

Autorhino,

I am confused by your terminology. Many here look at reflected UV. We shine uv light onto an object, using leds, flashes or from the sun. Then block all Visible and infrared light using filters on our lens and only look at the UV reflecting back to us. Due to the bayer sensor on many cameras, the green, red and blue dyes on the sensor provide us with a false color of the reflected light. The uv wavelengths closest to visible, are captured mostly by the blue dye of our sensors and the images seem more blue. Deeper into the uv wavelengths, is captured by the green channels of our sensors and the images seem more green.

Fluorescent uv imaging is a completly different thing. We illuminated with a UV light, 405nm light or cyan light (480ish nm) then use a UV blocking filter on the camera lens to block all uv light and capture only the visible and infrared emitting from the object. This can be done with most cameras and lenses. But since the amount of light coming back is so small, it usually needs to be done at night or in a dark room.

Be careful with black lights. They still can be harmful as Jonathan has said. Also most fluorescent black lights emmit too much visible to work for UV induced fluorescence. I have found LEDs better. If you want uv fluorescence see if you can get a led black light from Canada Tire. It will most likely be 405nm and will be a good first test bulb.

Jonathan has tested some Canon lenses and found the 40mm acceptable. If you have that one it may work for you for reflected uv.

Alain,

You may also have some luck using the P backs depending on the model. I used a P45 monochrome version one about 10 years ago. The Achromatic back was based around the P45+ sensor and I found its spectra:

The top is the color P45+ sensitivity and the bottom is the Achromatic, monochrome back sensitivity. I have no idea what lens would work for though.

post-188-0-06642100-1561480833.jpg

Alain, I do not know at this time of any company which rents gear for reflected UV photography. You could check with the major US camera converters (Kolari, LifePixel, MaxMax) to determine whether they might be willing to rent you a full spectrum camera for reflected UV work.

However, if it is UV-induced visible fluorescence which you wish to shoot and not reflected UV, then an ordinary camera and ordinary lens will suffice. You would only need a source of UV light and a really good UV-blocking filter for the lens to shoot UV-induced visible fluorescence. And EYE PROTECTION is mandatory for all participants in such a shoot.

In response to your introductory post I gave a list of links to the info topics on UVP which include topics about fluorescence.

Hi everyone … thanks you for all this info!!

Yes, what I am trying to shoot is fluorescence …

I have done my test shoot, and as you have predicted all my gear works for shooting fluorescence…phaseone p45 and canon 1dx gave similar result …

I have tested with a 400 watts mercury blacklight with gave terrific result for fluorescence … but was way too strong to shoot with no eye protection event for a few second ..(you have a test shot in attachement…. lighting is coming from behind him)

After I did test with a 30 watt led panel witch is rated for 400nm light ..

Even if it as lots of visible light, it’s still managed to give fluorescence … nothing compare to the 400 watts but ok to light your subject in the uv and visible light at the same time …

But for what I need it’s way to weak!! …

So I will shoot with my studio flash using very deep blue and purple filter to fake ultraviolet lighting and use photoshop to fake the fluorescence afterward ..

Thanks for sharing all this knowledge with me … its been a very interesting peek in a word I knew nothing about!!! (Except for two or three party when I was still young and wild !!) ;)

Alain

post-254-0-43176200-1561695019.png