UltravioletPhotography

Lecture on UV Imaging of Sunscreens at Sun Protection Conference, 2019

Just to let the forum know, I managed to drum up some excitement for UV imaging at a recent conference in London (Sun Protection Conference, 2019);

https://summit-events.com/sun-protection-conference

I spoke about the use of UV reflectance and fluorescence imaging for the photography of sunscreens, and how by using techniques such as cross polarisation, data can be collected from the images about amount of UV being absorbed / reflected by the film. I also did a live demo of fluorescence during the talk - I had the AV guys kill the lights in the room, and I used my fluorescent Blak Ray light to illuminate my face (and yes I had UB blocking glasses on). One side of my face had sunscreen on and the other did not. I don't think anyone had seen a demo like that done live in a talk before.

While I was there I was also offering to take photos of the delegates with my ACS UV modofied d810, with a Soligor 35mm f3.5 lens, and UV modified SB-910 speedlight, which also generated a lot of interest, especially for people wearing glasses (as they looked like they were wearing sunglasses in UV). I got everyone (glasses or not) to close their eyes when I took the photos.

I wasn't planning of sharing the full slide deck here, as the slides only really make sense with my commentary. However if anyone is interested, PM me and I can share a PDF of the deck.

The Ultraviolet Photography Forum got a mention in my Acknowledgements at the end :)

I had seen you were speaking at this meeting when they posted the bios, several people I know on that list.

I sure wish I could have been there, but it is a bit far from Tennessee!

Lucky you, it was in your back yard!

Andy Perrin
Wait, what are they saying about infrared light? As far as I know, the only way infrared can hurt you is by literally cooking you, which needs a fairly intense source.

It was a good conference John. Brian Diffey made a talk (which he hasn't done for a few years now).

Andy, the whole topic of IR and skin (and how much protection we need from it) is highly controversial, and prompted loads of discussion. There is evidence that points towards some IR being able to cause direct damage to skin cells. However the clinical relevance of this is still to be determined, even if the marketing guys think otherwise. At the moment, don't panic about IR, and don't worry if your sunscreen is not claiming IR protection.

• 3 weeks later...

Jonathan, thank you for posting about your Lecture. I'm happy that our members and other readers can see how UV and UV photography plays a role in a professional area of work.

That's so cool that you made some portraits of the meeting participants. Those were no doubt fun for everyone to see along with your half-face sunscreen demo. Great ideas to use at a conference.

And thank you very much for your mention of UVP in your acknowledgements!

• 4 weeks later...