UltravioletPhotography

UV in a Commercial

I just saw an interesting new commercial for Walgreens (A US drugstore/sundries chain) where they show a half a dozen or so people in visible, and then show them in UV video reacting to the the sun damage it shows. They are pitching WG has people to advise you with skin and beauty issues.
Andy Perrin
This is giving UV a bad reputation I think. I had a friend who reacted very negatively to the idea of trying a UV portrait because some company tried to use it to sell her cosmetics.

Andy, you are bang on with that - I've seen a few videos now which just use the shock factor of a different look in UV to sell a product. It isn't just a technique to show how terrible your skin is as a result of sun damage, although it can definitely be used to show that.

When done properly UV imaging can be an extremely powerful tool when communicating correct (and incorrect) sunscreen usage, along with a number of other skin conditions and issues. It shouldn't be used to make them panic about their sun-care routine without context, in a cheap shot to drive sales.

eye4invisible
How do they shoot these commercials without the subjects using protective eyewear? They don't look as if they were taken outside.
  • 1 month later...
same way people dont' wear protective eye wear in a bar with black lights is my guess. I do not think using uv to sell sunscreen that protects you is a bad thing, in fact I think it is good. Now if they were selling snake oil, it would be a different, but they sell a legitimate product that does what it claims, that is fine.
Andy Perrin
Good for people medically is not the same as good for the public image of UV photography. It’s about associations.
Most people don't like the black eyes in infrared photography either. honestly uv and ir portraits are probabaly only going to be appreciated by an eccentric group of people and not the general public IMHO.
Andy Perrin
It's not even the viewers I'm worried about. Tried to get anyone to pose for a UV portrait lately?

He did, didn't you Andy pose for him?

I am not sure, its a fad. They come and go. The average person now forgets quickly too.

Wait what were we talking about?

Then it all repeats in 10 to 15 years.