UltravioletPhotography

Kids at the beach

TBeachkofsky

TBeachkofsky

Here goes, 1st time poster here (hope I do this correctly)...new to UV photography and decided to use my kids as "models" during a recent beach trip where we had excellent natural lighting...not the best photos with kids moving a bit but fun nonetheless. For the parents out there you may recognize the last pic "Attitude" as the classic cranky kid after waking up from a nap with a bit of spit dried to the cheek. :-)

I would have liked to experiment with different camera settings but that wasn't happening with the kids on this trip...and wish my daughter didn't move in the 2nd pic...shifted my focus a bit and put my reflection in her glasses...oh well

Canon EOS RP Full Spectrum converted by Kolari

Rayfact 105

BaaderU filter

f4, 1/60, iso 200-400

processing: color removed, contrast/shadow adjustments in PSE

post-247-0-75198700-1557883878.jpgpost-247-0-05239600-1557883976.jpgpost-247-0-70117000-1557885575.jpg

Great images and quite the kit!

Kolari hasn't followed up the RP teardown with a full spectrum review yet. So I had my doubts about it working for UV as the Canon R looked horrible. But if these are full images, then you have a great camera.

This will be an odd question, but have you tried it under poor UV conditions, with long exposure times to see if there is an IR shutter monitor leak?

If you have a regular compact fluorescent light, try taking an image inside, ramping up your ISO and drop your shutter speed to near minutes to see if you can capture an image of something still. See if there is glow that washes out the frame.

Looks like the Kolari review of the EOS R has been modified. It now doesn't indicate the horrible IR shutter monitor leak problem. So I am confused. At least the comments remain, so I know I am not crazy.

An alternative way to do the test is set the camera to high ISO, 30seconds shutter speed, lens cap on and place in a dark black closet. Then look at the dark frame collected to see if you have the hot spot anywhere in the frame.

TBeachkofsky

Looks like the Kolari review of the EOS R has been modified. It now doesn't indicate the horrible IR shutter monitor leak problem. So I am confused. At least the comments remain, so I know I am not crazy.

An alternative way to do the test is set the camera to high ISO, 30seconds shutter speed, lens cap on and place in a dark black closet. Then look at the dark frame collected to see if you have the hot spot anywhere in the frame.

Da Bateman,

Thanks for your comments. For me, the sensor is picking something up at ISO of 40,000/32,000/25,600 with strongest signal on the right side of image but I don't know how to interpret this. Is this IR leak or something else? I have also emailed the images to Kolari for their comment. I never thought to test it until you asked as I am more interested in photographing people in UV which makes this less of an issue. Could the "Access Lamp" (referred to as the "Busy Light")...little red LED that illuminates on the back of the camera body during image capture be causing this, or just heat produced by camera internals or something else?

Here is the image captured in a dark closet with lens/lens cap, camera closed in camera bag, iso 40,000, 30sec shutter speed

post-247-0-77413900-1557972365.jpg

Here is the image captured in a dark closet with lens/lens cap, camera closed in camera bag, iso 30,000, 30sec shutter speed

post-247-0-28503300-1557972355.jpg

Here is the image captured in a dark closet with lens/lens cap, camera closed in camera bag, iso 25,600, 30sec shutter speed

post-247-0-03422000-1557972343.jpg

Honestly, that looks really good. You have nothing to worry about. It looks like a little bit of heat illuminated the right side, amp glow. That camera looks excellent for Astrophotography. A couple dark frames and other controlled images, flats would easily clear that.

A bad image would have a large bright spot in it at settings you would use. Imagine like a spotlight on the side. You have basically nothing! At settings I don't think you would even really use. The cameras with biggest problems have and IR shutter monitor that blows up the whole image.

Here is an example of what I would be concerned about:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/619481-light-leakage-dark-frames/

Here is example of Bad IR shutter monitor:

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/1910-full-spectrum-mod-gone-bad/

These are great portraits in UV, well done.

To add some information about the Canon RP: I have also purchased a FF Canon RP from Kolari, after having waited for long time for their review of the camera. I had confirmation there was no IR leak, so I trusted them and I am not disappointed at all. This camera is a real pleasure to use in IR and UV, with great colour rendition, no banding and good EVF.

I was also wondering why they had changed their review, and Kolari answered me that they tested a new model of EOS R and realised there was no IR leak at all with the exact same parameters than with the first one. So they think this is due to the fact they used a pre-version of the EOS R first.

TBeachkofsky

These are great portraits in UV, well done.

To add some information about the Canon RP: I have also purchased a FF Canon RP from Kolari, after having waited for long time for their review of the camera. I had confirmation there was no IR leak, so I trusted them and I am not disappointed at all. This camera is a real pleasure to use in IR and UV, with great colour rendition, no banding and good EVF.

I was also wondering why they had changed their review, and Kolari answered me that they tested a new model of EOS R and realised there was no IR leak at all with the exact same parameters than with the first one. So they think this is due to the fact they used a pre-version of the EOS R first.

DonPilou, Thanks for the compliment! I just got a response from Kolari asking them their thoughts and this is what they said:

"This is not the dreaded IR light leak problem. That will occur at much lower ISOs and have the appearance of a foggy haziness that permeates the frame. What we're seeing here is the purple ultra-high ISO signal noise that will often occur on a dark frame at max boosted ISO's. We've found this in several models without the LED, such as the A7 III and the Fuji X-T3 and have never found it to be an issue when shooting in the field when there is available light for the sensor to pick up."