UltravioletPhotography

Tiffen #12 + tinted train window, Gloucester, Massachusetts, US

Andy Perrin

These were captured out of a moving train last Saturday as I went up to Gloucester to visit my mom (it was U.S. Mother's Day on Sunday). The train window was both dirty and tinted, and the photos are what they are. I got about three seconds to compose my shots.

Filters: "stack" of Tiffen #12 + dirty train window

Camera: Sony A7S

Lens: Sony Zeiss Sonar FE 55mm

Settings: F/5.6 ISO500 1/1000"

Processing: Usual for my "aerochromes" (I do not try very hard to reproduce the original film). MATLAB for channel subtraction and rearrangement, Photoshop for autotone, and Neat Image noise removal. Interestingly, the colors were not adjusted otherwise -- they came out very saturated here without any other processing. You probably need a "train window filter."

post-94-0-40592000-1557858068.jpg

post-94-0-24181700-1557858392.jpg

I'd be interested in trying a train-window filter if I could get one pre-mounted. Trouble is, I don't think I could adapt the mount (the train) to my lens. I wonder how these would have come out if you had included one of the many variations of the sunglasses-filter. There again though - a tricky mount to adapt...
Andy Perrin
Mark, you can try the “train filter” on the MBTA commuter rail if you are so inclined.

Maynot be too hard to reproduce. I think the older 3M monitor antiglare films you place on a computer screen are similar to the film used on the train glass. I have a gold tinted antireflection screen for my monitor. I will have to test it now as I do like your colors.

I may also have a neutral one somewhere as well.

An unwieldy stack for sure. These have the look of a 590nm 'Goldie' filter, but with more saturation. The ochre/blue color contrast around the cliffs, in the first one, is quite striking.

It is also a little like Hoya B-410, however I like this, but B-410 is straight out of camera and doesn't require a train window filter stack.

Amtrak IR!

• 4 weeks later...
Andy Perrin

What an interesting effect of the train window! :)

such bright juicy colors turned out

Thank you!