UltravioletPhotography

Wildflowers in the garden with the UV Sonnar

Sun was out today, so I got some shots of the wild flowers (weeds as my wife calls them) in the garden. Taken with the UV Sonnar mounted on a multispectral Nikon d810, fitted with one of the ACS proprietary UV filters. ISO 400 for all images, but a range of f stops, and some with extension tubes to get me closer. White balanced using PTFE disk in Darktable.

Dandelion, Buttercups, Daisies, and one I don't recognise (the one in the 4th image below).

post-148-0-80375400-1557667032.jpg

post-148-0-34344700-1557667037.jpg

post-148-0-38973100-1557667042.jpg

post-148-0-70372900-1557667046.jpg

post-148-0-90230200-1557667054.jpg

post-148-0-91269300-1557667057.jpg

Great photos, have we almost switched you to taking flower images?

Now with your 302nm light and 308nm filter, have you tested the lower sensitivity of the Nikon?

Only really of the wildflowers in the garden David.

Unfortunately I can't test the lower limit of the d810. It has an internal UV filter which cuts off above 310nm.

Thanks Birna. Here's a normal photo of it.

post-148-0-76330900-1557671580.jpg

It does indeed look like it is O. umbellatum. Must have come in with a wildflower seed mix, as it isn't something I've specifically planted. Odd though, as I typically plant UK natives, and apparently this is more a Central and Southern European plant.

Unfortunately I can't test the lower limit of the d810. It has an internal UV filter which cuts off above 310nm.

I remembered that from this post:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2580-build-thread-at-home-measurement-of-camera-uv-spectral-response/page__st__40__p__19880__hl__d810__fromsearch__1#entry19880

However, due to the high output of the 302nm light, I thought you may test it anyway. But maybe I am the only one whom tests crazy things for fun. The filter on it reminds me of a UG1.

Anyway, wild flowers are just your gateway drug. Next you will buy flowers for the wife. And since you have them anyway, you will have to image them.

Only after 3 or 4 purchases will she question if they are really for her.

Keep it fun.

David, if all goes to plan I'll be getting hold of a monochrome converted d800 before long for a job I am doing, so will be checking that for sensitivity then. I can do the Canon vs Nikon showdown :)

If I start buying flowers for my wife, the first thing that will happen is that she'll wonder what I have broken ;)

Marianne Oelund

David, if all goes to plan I'll be getting hold of a monochrome converted d800 before long for a job I am doing, so will be checking that for sensitivity then.

Has anyone done a pre-/post-conversion fill factor and vignetting test on a high-density non-BSI CMOS sensor? I have concerns about QE and peripheral loss due to the narrow optical channel to the photodiode.

Has anyone done a pre-/post-conversion fill factor and vignetting test on a high-density non-BSI CMOS sensor? I have concerns about QE and peripheral loss due to the narrow optical channel to the photodiode.

I have not for monochrome conversion, but did pre and post for regular conversion.

Jonathan has a 50:50 Canon. Half the sensor is regularly, 1% has microlenses removed in middle and remaining 50% is monochrome converted. You can search for it in the testing area.