• Ultraviolet Photography
  •  

Wildflowers in the garden with the UV Sonnar

8 replies to this topic

#1 JMC

• Members(+)
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 13:18

Sun was out today, so I got some shots of the wild flowers (weeds as my wife calls them) in the garden. Taken with the UV Sonnar mounted on a multispectral Nikon d810, fitted with one of the ACS proprietary UV filters. ISO 400 for all images, but a range of f stops, and some with extension tubes to get me closer. White balanced using PTFE disk in Darktable.

Dandelion, Buttercups, Daisies, and one I don't recognise (the one in the 4th image below).

Attached Image: DSC_8236a.jpg

Attached Image: DSC_8239a.jpg

Attached Image: DSC_8247a.jpg

Attached Image: DSC_8253a.jpg

Attached Image: DSC_8256a cropped.jpg

Attached Image: DSC_8258a.jpg

#2 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members(+)
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 13:30

Great photos, have we almost switched you to taking flower images?
Now with your 302nm light and 308nm filter, have you tested the lower sensitivity of the Nikon?

#3 JMC

• Members(+)
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 13:44

Only really of the wildflowers in the garden David.

Unfortunately I can't test the lower limit of the d810. It has an internal UV filter which cuts off above 310nm.

Edited by JMC, 12 May 2019 - 13:45.

#4 nfoto

Former Fierce Bear of the North

• Owner-Administrator
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 14:15

Your fourth "mystery" species is an Ornithogalum. Perhaps O. umbellatum.

#5 JMC

• Members(+)
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 14:36

Thanks Birna. Here's a normal photo of it.

Attached Image: 578A9318 small.jpg

It does indeed look like it is O. umbellatum. Must have come in with a wildflower seed mix, as it isn't something I've specifically planted. Odd though, as I typically plant UK natives, and apparently this is more a Central and Southern European plant.

#6 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members(+)
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 16:42

View PostJMC, on 12 May 2019 - 13:44, said:

Unfortunately I can't test the lower limit of the d810. It has an internal UV filter which cuts off above 310nm.

I remembered that from this post:
https://www.ultravio...h__1#entry19880
However, due to the high output of the 302nm light, I thought you may test it anyway. But maybe I am the only one whom tests crazy things for fun. The filter on it reminds me of a UG1.

Anyway, wild flowers are just your gateway drug. Next you will buy flowers for the wife. And since you have them anyway, you will have to image them.
Only after 3 or 4 purchases will she question if they are really for her.
Keep it fun.

#7 JMC

• Members(+)
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 17:24

David, if all goes to plan I'll be getting hold of a monochrome converted d800 before long for a job I am doing, so will be checking that for sensitivity then. I can do the Canon vs Nikon showdown :)

If I start buying flowers for my wife, the first thing that will happen is that she'll wonder what I have broken ;)

#8 Marianne Oelund

Imaging Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 18:06

View PostJMC, on 12 May 2019 - 17:24, said:

David, if all goes to plan I'll be getting hold of a monochrome converted d800 before long for a job I am doing, so will be checking that for sensitivity then.

Has anyone done a pre-/post-conversion fill factor and vignetting test on a high-density non-BSI CMOS sensor? I have concerns about QE and peripheral loss due to the narrow optical channel to the photodiode.

#9 dabateman

Da Bateman

• Members(+)
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 20:11

View PostMarianne Oelund, on 12 May 2019 - 18:06, said:

Has anyone done a pre-/post-conversion fill factor and vignetting test on a high-density non-BSI CMOS sensor? I have concerns about QE and peripheral loss due to the narrow optical channel to the photodiode.

I have not for monochrome conversion, but did pre and post for regular conversion.

Jonathan has a 50:50 Canon. Half the sensor is regularly, 1% has microlenses removed in middle and remaining 50% is monochrome converted. You can search for it in the testing area.