UltravioletPhotography

I'm trapped in the red trees....

I hope they will let me go now))

I also want to try to do aerochrome film simulation using Lee Scuba Blue 729 + СЗС24 thickness 3mm

WB from white PTFE

processing: contrast and sharpness, sometimes a bit of color saturation

I like that.

Thank you very much for the tips to buy Lee Scuba Blue 729!! :smile:

post-237-0-97588400-1557500382.jpg

The middle of the dandelions became more noticeable for some unknown reason. in the visible, they are also darker in the middle but not as much as here

post-237-0-89699800-1557500456.jpg

post-237-0-24880400-1557500557.jpg

Wow, those are very appealing!

So far, the 729 is the best I have tried.

I have about 12 different sheets of Lee filters now, and I have tried maybe half of them, and some other glass filters, but have not found anything that gets as red as the 729.

It is of course not EIR/Aerochrome, because the color don't all shift like they do with EIR/Aerochrome, but that is OK also, they are different, both have merit.

You can thank David here for finding the whole idea, and the other David (Twede) for posting his example on that link.

Cadmium, thanks!) Yes, the 729 filter is wonderful!!

David, thank you so much!!! :)

I am very grateful to David Twede for inventing this filter. And for his beautiful photos and thoughts and reflections of photography and life. I read his entire blog.

_______

some more photos

WB from white t-shirt

post-237-0-31284100-1557553083.jpg

by the way, the lime yellow color remains almost unchanged

post-237-0-24999100-1557552890.jpg

post-237-0-74063200-1557553225.jpg

Nice photos :-)

The center of the dandelions have IR, which sometimes becomes an issue with UV-'only' stacks if there is not enough IR suppression, then the center will look warm instead of black in UV.

In this case, the IR center becomes red/orange.

Thanks!! :)

I thought that the darkening of center of the dandelion is associated with ultraviolet light only. there's no ultraviolet with 729 filter.

post-237-0-67294700-1557559106.jpg

UV+IR

UG1

post-237-0-29794200-1557554725.jpg

I really like that last dandelion image. Very interesting. I now may have more respect for the red filter combo. I will have to play around more, now that most of my early spring blossoms are gone. Some tight lawn shots of clover and other wild flowers may be fun.

sorry, I have written not good. It's not a red filter. This is UG1 filter

I need to change that... to write it more noticeable

When shooting UV-only 320nm-400nm, the dark center of a dandelion means there is nothing, no UV, no Visual, and no IR.

If the center looks brown/warm or gray, then the UV-only filter has an out-of-band IR leak.

Your UV + IR example above is pretty, and well done, but confuses the issue I was referring to.

If you want to see what I am talking about, stack UG1 2mm with BG38 2mm, that will give you a UV shot with a brown/warm center caused by insufficient IR (700nm range) suppression.

Now change the BG38 to S8612 2mm and the center will not be warm or brown, it will be black, because the S8612 will sufficiency suppress the IR.

Here is an example of a few UV-only stacks with sufficiently suppressed IR, and also a BG38 stack that has warm flower centers from IR leak.

Sorry, best I could find, not a dandelion, but gives the same general idea.

post-87-0-19832000-1557558925.jpg

Thanks for the examples. I get that. But the red photos don't have ultraviolet. What gives the darkening of the center of the dandelion? or does 729 transmit ultraviolet light?

No, the 729 doesn't transmit UV.

The 729 red photos don't have ultraviolet. They do have IR. As I originally said: "The center of the dandelions have IR".

Why do you say "darkening"? Actual darkening means there is nothing, this is "reddening", which is from IR, because the 729 only gets red from IR.

The only reason I compared it to UV-only shots is because the center of UV-only can be polluted with IR if/when the UV-only stack has insufficient IR suppression, thus the BG38 example.

You were wondering why the center was darker/redder... or however you would like to describe it. That is from IR.

You were wondering why it was red in the center, right? That is from IR.

I was comparing that to why it is warm/brown in the center with UV shots that have an IR leak. Same reason, it is from IR.

I think I understand. In infrared dandelion pistils become dark . if this is the pistils of course. I don't know botany well. And they are darken - red - on the red pictures. only the forked pistils. in contrast, in ultraviolet the whole central flowers completely are darken - and pistils and petals

I didn't notice those differences before. i will need to take good large photos of these differences for comparison in IR, UV, UV+IR and in red

The pistils are the blue, not red on the photo UV+IR above

all that bad infrared reflect is blue in this picture

sorry for my English)) i think color dark is dark. not black. not light is black, low light is dark. dark coffie vs black coffie :D

"dark' is not the right word. Say red.

Neither of us are botanists, so just say center.

You edited your original question, which was about the center.

You deleted your question... so I am calling this discussion quits.

I was only trying toi answer your question.

It is no big deal.

In short, the reason the center of the dandelions are red is because of IR.

This is desaturated, which is dark, the center or the edges of the flower?

Neither are dark.

Dark is the wrong word. Red is the right word.

post-87-0-27627700-1557564919.jpg

ok, red :) I try, I learn...

I did not delete my question, I didn't removed, rather added) the question remained, it is in the message above. but ok. I'll just make pictures to compare later.

With 729 the only things that are red are from IR

Red is not 'darker' than yellow.

With 729 Red = IR.

With 729 red comse from nothing else than IR.

This dandelion discussion is interesting. Basically what ever reflects IR will become Red using the Suba stack. However, the dandelion is not pure red like the grass, thus it reflects different amounts of IR. I will have to look at dandelions in IR now. Most flowers are boring in IR, white, reflective of everything. But if there is a range than the Suba stack may quickly tell us that.

I was testing just now)) i am going to process and will show. dandelion flower is not all white in IR. I already wrote that the pistils become dark in infrared. if this is the pistils - i don't know botany.

______

sorry.....

I have to wait until summer for the tests.

I didn't find a dandelion at the right stage of flowering. But I have old pictures where you can see it.

If take a photo UV+IR, the petals are two colors, white and orange. The pistils, or whatever it is, are blue. and the sepals are blue too.

those parts which poorly reflect infrared are cold tints. those parts which poorly reflect the ultraviolet are warm tints. Of course, it's a very delicate balance of reflection of IR and UV. and it is not visible in all photos. This was seen best on the unmodified Nikon d40 with UG1 filter

post-237-0-47968600-1557578406.jpg

so from today tests only this:

post-237-0-03709100-1557578531.jpg

post-237-0-11319200-1557578549.jpg

Andy Perrin
Those orange and white dandelions look like some of nfoto’s really early UV pictures. I am not sure how she did them.

Eka, your photos with 729 filter are very beautiful!!

I got a great impression about this.

For the red center of dandelions something:

I tried some red dandelions test with ПС11. This kind of filter gives a lot of different variants for the center for dandelions, and very depending on the thickness of the filter, and the thickness of the IR block.

The most beautiful red for me: 3 mm filter + BG40 or 1 mm S8612.

I have not tried if the weaker IR block.

I'm not sure If I will get the result like you have, with UG1 only.

With one UV filter - I can do red center, only if I use a non-converted camera, and then replace the channels. Then yes.

post-242-0-04646100-1557688308.jpg