UltravioletPhotography

Today I have had fun with my new fisheye lens.

Inspired by Birna i got a Sunex Superfisheye 5.6mm F/5.6

Using super wide lenses need some practice and I have used circular fisheye lenses very little before.

It was also long ago since I used any of my full frame fisheye lenses creatively.

Today I went to get the feeling of how to best compose usable images with the lens

I like the technical quality of the images from the Sunex very much. It is a quite sharp lens.

There is enough space for rear mounting filters even if there is no gelatin-filter holder.

I used a ring of grey-tack / poster-putty to fixate the filter.

For me this type of lens is mainly a VIS / NIR lens even if it marginally works for for UV-A too.

It is nice for images with sky, clouds and trees, as they are lacking straight lines.

Images are from the park in Malmö, Pildammsparken.

It is located on the area where the Baltic Exhibition was held in the summer of 1914, just before WW1 started.

Fisheye lenses are fun with all

post-150-0-02299500-1557070789.jpgpost-150-0-49379100-1557070816.jpgpost-150-0-69928300-1557070839.jpgpost-150-0-01542500-1557070856.jpgpost-150-0-57964900-1557070869.jpg

Filter: 800nm LP

Must dust off an IR camera and experiment more with the Sunex there.

My few feeble attempts in IR with this fisheye has been on the D40X with internal R72, meaning some [false]colour might survive.

T1704301019.jpg

Be aware that "Bluetac" type products outgas volatiles, which over time will be depositing on any optics in the vicinity.

Be aware that "Bluetac" type products outgas volatiles, which over time will be depositing on any optics in the vicinity.

Good point!

Thanks for the warning Shane

Then the putty should be kept away from the optics and filters when not in service.

Ulf, Great shots, nice composition!

Has anyone compared this fish with the New Nikon 8-15mm fish? Seems like the 8-15mm had a bit of a hot spot in IR?

Birna, have you tried the 8-15mm?

I do have the 8-15 but not used it for IR yet. This situation will be rectified as I found some of my gel filters and cut them to fit the rear holder on the 8-15. I'll probably bring my full-spectrum D600 with me on the upcoming trip to Scotland later this week.

The Sunex is by design fix-focus which is exacerbated by it also being a fix-aperture lens. However by manhandling the rear end ever so slightly, and loosing up the grub screws that keep the bayonet in place, a rudimentary way of focusing is possible if you watch the image in LiveView. The perimeter of the frame does object to this treatment by rapidly going soft thus there are definite limits as to how close one can push the lens. I haven't tried this "abuse" in IR thus no idea of how it might be manifested there, but for UV it is a real issue.

This picture shows the practical near limit in UV. The centre of the frame still is very sharp, but the outer areas suffer badly.

I1705043306.jpg

Sunex 5.6mm f/5.6 on Nikon D3200 (internal Baader-U), hand-held camera..

I could not see any trace of hot-spots in any of the IR-images (>100) from that session, even with the sun directly in the image.

Naturally there was some ghosting, but no hot-spot.

For UV I used a 330w80 UV-pass filter from Omegabob, with the mirror side against the sensor.

Then there were some hot-spots and the ghosting of the sun was yellowish after WB.

Thank you Eka.

Here is one more that is less fishy, except for the round shape:

post-150-0-84170000-1557462865.jpg

I have not yet made up my mind if a dark or brighter surrounding area looks best.

It might be due to motive too.

Opinions?

This picture show how well controlled the ghosting is controlled with the sun included in the image:

post-150-0-40598900-1557462880.jpg

There is no hotspot I can see.