•  

More minerals

4 replies to this topic

#1 Hornblende

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 14:17

Hello all,
I have been away for a long time due to my studies but I am slowly going back on cool mineral fluorescence photography :)
Below is a picture of leucophanite crystals (a kind of beryllium silicate) fluorescing under UV-long wave. In visible light they are rather boring, colorless to creamy yellow, which contrast with there bright-pink fluorescence!

I still have some problem with dust specs and fluorescence of the background material. I need to find a non-fluorescent, very black paint.

Canon 6D – El Nikkor 80mm f5.6 – Baader UV/IR cut – Convoy S2 w/ filtered with a baader U Venus filter
ISO 400 – 8 seconds exposure – f22
Attached Image: IMG_0983 copie.jpg

#2 Shane

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:13

I used to use Industrial Krylon 1602 Ultra Flat Black for most of my UV, IR and fluorescence work. It even worked well for covering the internal surface of a light blocking cover that was placed over gem materials being measured on an Ocean Optic integrating sphere.

Edited by Shane, 06 May 2019 - 05:17.

#3 Cadmium

• Members(+)
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:47

Ooo... that is very pretty!
Yes, I learned about the 1602 from Shane years ago, works great.
It is possible Lee has one of the background materials that will work, I have not tested those yet.

#4 Hornblende

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 16:50

Thanks guys,
I will try this paint!

#5 Andy Perrin

• Members(+)
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 16:54

Hornblende, I think Jonathan also mentioned that the Stuart Semple Black 2.0 worked in vis through UV nicely.