UltravioletPhotography

(Again) No alerts via E-mail

bvf

Hi,

Just joined UVP. For notifications, I've asked for all notifications via e-mail, but I haven't received any even though I've had posts responded to.

Andrea will look into this once she can emerge from her current moving-home business. She is the boffin not I.

I'll send you a PM to check whether this works - at least,

I do have access to the Admin Control Panel and could find no obvious error in your settings there. Looks like a case for our local sleuth.
There is always the possibility that some emails may get stuck in a junk/spam folder on your email server without knowing, and may have a limited life to be found before being automatically deleted.

Bernard, I will check settings to determine what is going on.

We are not a super sophisticated little website. I've always hoped that someday I would find time to upgrade our software.

I checked our settings and logs and do not see any error messages about email. So the only possibility is that something got stuck on the server. But I have no error messages from the server company. There are also no email message files in our files which haven't been already dealt with.

I am trying to find the cron log to see how often we send out notifications.

Cadmium - I don't think it's a junk mail issue: I've set my server not to filter junk because of previous problems, so the worst that will happen is that something ends up in my Outlook junk folder.

Andrea - the problem could be with my domain - @btinternet.com. Other senders have reported issues with that domain. Can you generate a test message to both that email address and to my work email address (sent to you by Personal message)? I don't want to use that address for personal stuff, but it would be a useful test.

dabateman

People get email notifications?

I have only gotten an email if someone PMs me thats it.

I just troll the main page for recent dates. That usually works for me. Although I did miss a message once for e days that way.

Andrea B.

I'm not actually sure we get notifications if someone comments on our topic?

There is this setting: Notify me of new comments

It is not clear where the "new comments" occur. On a topic? In a PM? I set mine a few days ago, but I have not received any email concerning "new comments" on a topic or on a post. So apparently this setting does not refer to that?

The default setting for any notifications that actually are sent is: Email. If you want to over-ride that, then you can change your Profile notification settings to Inline.

Da - if you go into your settings, you can ask for email notifications on all sorts of things - perhaps it's a case of "you can ask, but you don't get"!
Andrea B.
Might have something to do with whether or not a topic is "followed".
Andrea B.

The Notification Options for Topics & Posts show a setting for

• Notification method to use for replies to followed topics

But under Topics & Posts there is not a setting for notification about new comments added to a topic which you have started.

There is a section labeled Other Notifications. This does not seem to refer to Topics or Posts. However, I have been unable to find what it does refer to.

Just FYI - I did just get an email notifiction that someone had quoted me in one of their posts. So the email notification is very selective as to what it tells you about - but it is working!
Andrea B.

Thanks, Bernard.

While looking through the settings, I saw that the Daily/Weekly Digest is turned OFF. We also have "Like" turned OFF. So under the Topics & Posts section, it seems that only a quoted post triggers a notification.

I don't at this time know why replies to "followed" posts do not trigger a notification. That's on my list to track down.

EDIT: "Follow" IS WORKING. So if you want notification of replies, then "Follow" a topic, OK? :D :D :D

And I still do not know what "Other Notifications" refers to.

BTW, the New Content button is useful for finding the latest.

I still hope someday to upgrade our forum software. I'll put on the list a note to determine whether I can hire someone from Invision to do this for me. It would be far more efficient, I think.