UltravioletPhotography

Two Historic Buildings in Southern Utah

The following were taken incidentally to my Zion trip a few weeks ago, but are not really of a piece with them. Both were taken with the Sony A900, the Asahi 20mm lens at f/16, and the U360/S8612 stack. Display intent is BGR.

"Ruined Cabin Near Hanksville:"

post-66-0-80074200-1556481010.jpg

This is just sitting a little way back from the highway as one drives west toward Capitol Reef. One person on Flickr has already shot this scene in IR, but I may be the first to capture it in UV. The stone of the cabin and the sky show faint UV-hues.

"Historic Schoolhouse, Fruita, Utah."

post-66-0-20782800-1556481246.jpg

This structure is more preserved/restored and is now in Capitol Reef National Park. It functioned as a one-room schoolhouse in the 19th century when there was a town here. Since it lies along the Fremont River where wood was more available as a building material, it was built of such. The image is almost monochromatic although faint tinting of the wood can be discerned.

• 2 weeks later...

These are both excellent compositions. I always enjoy your tours around the country which bring us unusual, interesting UV views of so many scenes we would not otherwise see. :)

I think the first photo would probably make for a nice print. We do lose a bit of the nuances by viewing online instead of in print. I like the way the light plays through the old stone cabin.