UltravioletPhotography

Lincoln - Concord, Massachusetts (US) walk

Andy Perrin

I took a walk from Weston, though Lincoln, to Concord, Massachusetts, which is my home state. The total distance was 11.9 miles. The trip passed through Minuteman National Park, which is where the US Revolutionary War began, on the 19th of April, 1775 (some Americans may recall the horrid and ahistorical Longfellow poem on the subject). It is where Paul Revere's ride ended with his capture by the British troops. This anticlimactic ending is not noted by the poem.

The photos are pseudo-Aerochrome/IRG. Procedure was to photograph the subject using Tiffen #12 filter, export with no white balance (nor any other processing) as a TIFF file in PhotoNinja. This file was then processed in MATLAB as follows:

New red channel = original blue channel

New green channel = original red channel - original blue channel

New blue channel = original green channel - original blue channel

The result was then saved as a new TIFF file, and used Photoshop's Auto Tone feature on the result. Further minor tweaks to contrast, brightness, and saturation were done in PS. I tend to like a saturated image better, although I know many here do not. Tough luck!

The lens was the Sony FE 55mm/1.8 at F/9, ISO64, and mostly around 1/200" (give or take).

A colonial home in Lincoln

post-94-0-09034800-1556477928.jpg

Another colonial in Lincoln, with classic New England stone walls everywhere. Our soil is mostly rocky glacial soil, so it's full of rocks. The farmers of the area would simply move them to the edges of the fields and make walls out of them.

post-94-0-36133800-1556478603.jpg

The town center of Lincoln, with the public library in the background.

post-94-0-06971200-1556478402.jpg

A closeup of that spectacular tree in the last pic:

post-94-0-56956800-1556478455.jpg

Captain William Smith’s house (house built 1692, which is old in the US). He led the Lincoln Minutemen, the local militia. When he got word from his neighbor Mary Hartwell that the British were coming, he rallied the Minutemen and then met the British down the road.

post-94-0-17723600-1556478727.jpg

A field in Concord along the Battle Road.

post-94-0-98498100-1556478959.jpg

dabateman

Andy,

The composition of that close up tree image is perfect. You captured the lines and the part of the house excellently.

It and Smith's house are my favorites.