UltravioletPhotography

Schott KV filters vs Lee polyester film filter fluorescence test

Cadmium

Simple test to determine if Lee filters fluoresce. Schott KV filters do not fluoresce, so they are the test comparison.

Filter fluorescence comparison test between Schott KV laminated glass/plastic filters, and Lee polyester film filters.

Visual and UV tests (using Convoy S2+ with Hoya U-340 2mm thick torch filter).

No fluorescence detected with Schott KV or Lee polyester film filters, however given the small transmission the UV with some of the Lee filters, you would need to stack them with some other UV barrier filter

to remove any UV that the Lee filter might have (Baader UV/IR-Cut, etc., should work for most). I am shooting here with a stock D610 with no filters on the lens.

I tried about 6 or 8 different yellow through orange range Lee filters, with similar transmissions other than different cutoff points, and none of them fluoresce.

post-87-0-34974100-1556428127.jpg

post-87-0-98773200-1556428132.jpg

Cadmium,

The Lee UV filter included in the pack acts like a #2B filter in my hands. Roughly a 395nm I think, even though the web spectra say 55% at 410nm. Both the lee clear and the lee heat shield act like long pass 320nm filters.

So the lee UV is better for uv blocking than the 486 filter, but not as good as a Baader uv/ir block or using a 2A filter.